Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Don't stand so

For the record, I am not claustrophobic. I spent many hours as a child playing hide and seek with my cousins, wedging myself under beds, in closets, etc. I had an MRI about ten years ago and when they shoved me in that tiny little thingy I was so comfortable that I fell asleep. I have no problems riding in an elevator or a ford festiva. Let the record also show that I am not a personal space freak. I don't have a problem with crowds (other than the normal irritation of being bumped into or trodden upon or listening to ignorant people expound their ridiculous opinions).

However, what does drive me crazy is Close Standers. The people who eschew an entire empty building to stand four and a half inches away from you. They lurk in your peripheral, mouth hanging open, vacantly watching whatever you're doing. I'm sure you've experienced this, we've got a new girl at work who was doing it to me the other day. The Faux Physicist was a Close Stander, too. We had a girl last summer at work who would actually lean her hip against her me when she was talking to me or she would walk up so close to people that her stomach was touching them. That brain dead lurking drives me insane. When I notice someone doing it I want to whip around and scream at them. You know, maybe make them crap their pants or something.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At 8:52 PM , Blogger Steph said...

    She put her STOMACH on people? What? that would be enough for me to shove her in the opposite direction.
    weird.

     
  • At 8:39 PM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    Damn mouthbreathers!

    I hate when people rub their stomachs on you. Remember that guy at the zarape? He kept leaning in and rubbing his gross belly on my arm. Nasty. Not to mention his crazy eyes.

     
  • At 1:51 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Steph - yeah, she looked pretty skinny, but she had this gut. It was like the Stealth Gut. She cameoflaged it well, until it was brushing up against you! I totally wanted to punch her in the face becaus of that, and because, you know, she was very annoying and stupid.

    Eggroll - Yeah, I remember that guy, I thought of that time when I was typing this. :)

     
  • At 4:29 AM , Blogger MissE said...

    Oh god, the space invaders!
    They freak me out.
    They make me want to invest in a hoola-hoop that I could throw on the ground, step into and scream "PERSONAL SPACE YOU BASTARDS. BACK THE **** OFF!"

    There are these students that when they come up to your desk seem to want to be as close to you as they possibly can. You know, come around behind the desk and stand on you shoulder? It's all I can do not to smack them up the back of the head and tell them to get the **** around the other side of the desk before I fail them because they're freaking me out.

    But that stomach thing is just plain creepy... maybe you should have invested in long pins... and then hold them just out from your abdomen as she drew closer. A few sharp pointy reminders that she needs to beck off and honour the dance space.

     
  • At 4:29 AM , Blogger MissE said...

    sorry about the spelling errors - I have this issue with typing lately...

     
  • At 12:34 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Misse - don't worry about the spelling, I'm a terrible speller. :)

    Ha, I remember the desk lurkers from when I was in school. I would have loved to see a teacher smack one of them and threaten to fail them for standing to close. And seriously, teaching teenagers? You have my upmost respect.

    Thankfully the stomach girl was only a temporary visitor. That was the only thing that kept me from snapping, was the knowledge that she would be leavinig again soon.

     
  • At 12:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You've had a real run of close standers, haven't you? The thing that annoys me worst is when close standing is added to bad breath and unnecessary talking. That's just disgusting, but still waay too common in the age of dental floss.

     
  • At 4:48 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Mark - Yeah, the weirdos love me.

    Good point though, that is an aweful, aweful combination.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home