Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Random bits

Today, when one of my employees asked if there was anything else she had to do before she could go home, I told her she had to do the macarena. Protesting, she went and recruited some one else to do it with her and they both proceeded to do an out of sync round of the loathsome dance. Sometimes you have to use your powers for evil.

Wednesday night I went out to pick up some stuffed breadsticks from pagliai's. I also stopped at the gas station to get a 2-litre of pepsi.* I entered the gas station to find it full of the usual Wednesday night "goths".** The usual girl with fishnets and black nailpolish, chubby unwashed fellow in black "leather" trenchcoat, dude in baggy pants with a plethora of chains draped from pocket to pocket, etc. I turned around at the counter to notice that there were also a few zombies as well, which I thought unusual. Apparently goth night was having a "Zombie Night" this week, which is actually kind of cool.

Today I tried to name all 50 states and their capitals. I easily remembered the states, but only got 43 of 50 capitals right. Of the seven I got wrong two I had guessed wildly on and the other five I think I was just overthinking. I was a little disappointed in my geography skills, but at least I know Spain isn't in Mexico.***

Last week one of our computer/registers went down at work. It had not been acting strangely in the past couple days, but that doesn't mean anything with these things. Our District Manager, who is my boss's boss, was in the store at the time. She got on the phone with the company we have these P.O.S.'s through. She proceeded to give them hell. We've had so many problems with these computers, at all of our stores, that I think she finally snapped. She made them over-night ship us a new register at no cost to us (we get regular shipping for free). Later, after she had left for the day, I was struck by a sudden idea. I went to the register and pulled out the flash card. I blew into the card, put it back in, and rebooted. And it worked perfectly after that. Thank you Nintendo for important life lessons. We still took the new register when it came anyway.

*I am unsure why milk comes in gallons and pop in litres.

**One of BG's many bars has themes on certain days. Tuesday=drag/gay night, Wednesday=Goth night. I invariably find myself driving through the middle of town, or at another bar on Wednesdays, wondering, if only for a moment, why all the freaks are out.


***That's a whole other post.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:23 AM , Anonymous Mark said...

    Interesting question! Here Pepsi comes in 375, 600, 1125 and 2000 mL versions. I'm guessing that most of those are round numbers in the imperial system, and metric takes over for the big one?

    It would make sense to do that because you'd want a nice round number for the big one, and imperial quantities can't be used in metric countries.

    Oh, and props for the flash card idea. I never thought about it that way, but those cards are basically tiny Nintendo carts, aren't they?

    Dun duh-duh-dun dun EFTPOS SONG!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home