Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Saturday, August 01, 2009

How does your garden grow?

Mine has issues.

Things started out pretty well. I got all my plants outside. I thought some were on the shrimpy side, but they all took off growing once they went out. The watermelons got out later than everything else. I thought they were just piddling around and not growing, but I realized today that they have grown quite a lot, just behind and under and through other plants so I didn't notice. And I think they have a baby watermelon coming along.

My inside garden got a little over watered which gave me gnats. I fucking hate those itty bitty bastards. I moved some of the offending plants outside and got some spray. Gnats are nigh impossible to get rid of until it gets cold, but the genocide of insecticide seems to have been fairly effective. I'm waiting to see if there's a resurgence in the next week or so, they may have laid eggs in my plants (ick). If so I will be waiting with the spray of death.

The outside garden was humming along nicely, but in the last week or so we've had some problems. The two cucumber plants have given me 9 cucumbers so far, but they've rather outgrown their bucket and have to be watered at least once a day. My tomato plants are loaded with fruit, so loaded that they are in danger of being killed by the weight of their own fruit. There needs to be some serious staking action. My pumpkins have two fruit now. One is getting quite large and has bent its trellis all the way over because, of course, the fruit came in right at the top of the trellis I had constructed. Also, the pumpkin plants have contracted the mange. Okay, it's actually powdery mildew, which is annoying, but less fun to say. I don't think there's any help for it but to hope that the white blotches don't kill off all the leaves before the fruit matures. Oh, and now I think the cucumbers have the mange too. My tomato plants also have issues. They either have blight or blossom end rot. The latter, which I think is the problem as it is a common problem for container grown plants, comes from a calcium deficiency and can be fixed. Now, I don't want to jinx it, but my peppers, both kinds, are doing awesome.

So that's what's up in the wide world of plants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home