Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Saturday, August 01, 2009

Bringing the Hate for Julys

Wow I can't believe I haven't written anything in, like, a month. July sucked. July always seems to suck for me. It's hot and muggy and I always seem to end up in a crabby-mooded funk. This year was no exception.

Work has been an extra slice of annoying with a double serving of stressful. At the beginning of the month my boss had vacation which kind of left me in charge. Which at first I thought, "Cool. Authority without responsibility." But actually it was a bit on the vice versa side. And I had to work a shitload of open shifts that week, and "not a morning person" doesn't even begin to cover it. And all summer I've had to suppress the urge to (lightly) maim our junior managers on a daily basis. And we had a bi-yearly inspection some parts of which we sucked donkey balls on. And it's not like at the debriefing when the honchos are asking for suggestions you can actually tell the truth about what needs done (beatings for everybody).

::

This week I found out that my boss is going to have to take at least 6 weeks off to have heart surgery. Yikes! She's only in her forties. I also found out that we are not getting raises this year. According to my irate boss this is partly because they've paid us so much in bonuses even though our store made a lot of money over our budget. Given the choice I would take the bonuses. They're more money, not that hard to get, based on measurable goals and a good indicator of how the store is doing, but that's not the point is it?

You know, I'm not even mad. Why? Because I'm not surprised. Not all the stores in the franchise are doing as well as us and the economy is extra shitty right now. My boss, however, was surprised. And hella angry. Which was hilarious. I normally find her rather silly, so seeing her filled with indignant rage pretty much took the sting out of not getting the raise.

I also found out that one of my crew I trusted was doing some very stupid shit on one of my shifts when I wasn't watching them like a hawk. Which wouldn't be so bad, but they took a video of it with their phone, and showed that around. Which maybe wouldn't be horrible, but they were bragging about getting away with it. Which might not be absolutely unforgivable, but they weren't just bragging about getting away with it in general, but specifically on my shift. And my crew do not understand discretion, or acoustics. And my boss found out. Luckily she had plenty of other crap to be mad about this week, and even if she didn't I think the fact that they made a slip'n'slide out of trash bags and tried it out wouldn't get her too riled up normally.

I was mad though. Stupidity + tangible proof (cell phone video) + bragging about getting away with it on my shift = Sacred Trust Broken. And there's no fixing that. All the krazy glue in the world won't do you any good, and you can't get another one off of ebay, douchepile.

::

But today was the first day of my 9 day vacation.

And there was much, much rejoicing. [Whoa, need to stop starting all my sentences with conjunctions.]

::::::

One more story from work though before we move on. The other day I had to explain to one of my teen aged employees how laws work. She was complaining about the fees she has to pay to get her driver's license reinstated. How she got it taken away at the tender age of 16 is beyond me. Okay, she's technically 17, but I've repeatedly informed her that she is one of those people who is going to be 16 for a long, long time. I don't think my mother has ever stopped being 16... Any rate, she they went on to express as sense of incredulousness that the state of Ohio actually requires drivers to have car insurance. I wondered aloud how she could not have known/believed this as it is posted everywhere dealing with cars, you have to sign a form saying you have insurance when you get your license, and every other commercial talks about having state required insurance. To which she replied, and I quote, "Yeah, but I didn't think they were serious."

I was flabbergasted. I could not understand the kind of logic you would have to use to come to that conclusion, and said so. To answer my "WTF?" she said, "I just thought they, like, gave you a ticket, not like it's a law or something."

"The reason you get a ticket is because you broke a law. That's why they give out tickets, for breaking laws. That's how laws work." I think I may have had a small aneurysm at that point because I was certainly stupider for having had that conversation. This is why I advocate a course for high school students called Real Life 101 because some of them certainly aren't getting it from their parents.

:::::::

Hopefully that's all the negativity for a while. Fun plans for this week are in motion. Pictures and details to follow.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 3:14 AM , Anonymous Mark said...

    Hah, a slip and slide made out garbage bags is actually pretty funny - from the point of view of someone not in charge of the people who made it.

    Post some pictures of your garden!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home