Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Busy, busy, busy

I feel that I have been somewhat productive lately. I've reapplied myself to bringing my comic to life. I made a (rather feeble/lazy) attempt at bringing it to the web a while back, but over time it got shuffled to the back burner. Well, I've been thinking a lot about it lately. I've been making some tough decisions about which of my hobbies/interests I am going to continue to pursue and which ones I simply don't have time for. I've put the comic at the top of the list because, well, A. I enjoy it B. I've put a lot of work/thought into it C. It's the thing I've done the most with. I've got a lot of ideas for it, so many in fact that I write them in a notebook, which I then listed in a spreadsheet. However, they're in no order, and the strips I've already drawn are also in no particular order. I would just draw them as I thought of them, jumping to new story lines, not introducing characters, no chronology, etc. I decided I needed to organize all my ideas, fill in the holes and make it all flow properly. I needed to create a storyboard.

Each of the 833 index cards on my coffee table represents at least one strip.

Some of the cards just have an idea/notes that could lead to a whole series of strips, and that's not counting the stuff I have in my head or the filler for the holes. As I was sitting there filling out the cards I was struck by how many there were. Somehow, seeing it all laid out made me realize it in a way I couldn't before. It made me feel prolific, in a small, modest way.

It's not a storyboard yet, but they're all written down and sorted by relevant character or plot line. I'm probably going have to take over the entire floor to get them all laid out in order.

::::

Speaking of floor space, I've slowly been rearranging my apartment since my roommate migrated to Cleveland last month.
Here are a couple pictures of my rearranged living room. So much space! It feels so luxurious to have all this space to myself. And a bedroom that is just a bedroom instead of a bedroom/office/studio/whatever. Also, I've come to realize that I am quite lazy about hanging paintings and pictures.

::::

Another project I've been busy with is my garden. I use the word loosely as I don't actually have anything planted in the ground. I'm trying my hand at growing a container garden on my patio. I have tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers planted in pots and doing nicely so far *fingers crossed*. I also have a crapload of marigolds and geraniums along with a few oregano, peppermint and lavender plants. All of the plants are from seed I started indoors. Not all of them have migrated to the patio, some will probably stay inside. I'm also taking a crack at growing pumpkins. Crazy you say? It can and has been done. I did the research, thanks google. I've got a big enough container 18 gal, and I'm going to rig up a self watering system. Then as it grows the vines will have to be trained to wrap around the container so it doesn't take over. What I should end up with is something that looks like a shrub. Anyway, I figured why not? Go big or go home. I'm not expecting monster, prize winning pumpkins, but I'm hopeful for some decent jack-o-lanterns. I will post pictures as the garden progresses.

::::

I have to watch my spending for the next week and a half until I get paid again as my bank account is a bit on the low side. The upside of this is that it is only low because I made a big payment on my credit card and I am now officially, completely 100% out of debt. (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I took out a personal loan last year to consolidate my credit card debt, but because of my credit they wouldn't give me enough to cover everything (seriously another thousand was going to be too much?). I'm not some crazy shopaholic, I just went through some bad financial times and relied too heavily on plastic. However, it's all gone now. It still hasn't sunk in.

Now I'm looking to save up for a down payment on a new car. Seriously, my car is great if you are ambivalent about reaching your destination. Also, I'd like to save up for a epic vacation. I have a week of vacation coming up in August, but that's going to be a laid back affair. Maybe some camping and/or a trip to the lake (still waiting to hear back on that), general relaxing, and I'd like to get a tattoo for my birthday. Still trying to decide what to get for the last one.

I've also thought back about cutting back on my hours at work now that I'm debt free. Going from 50 hrs a week to 40 is very tempting, even though it means a pay cut, but with higher rent (living by myself), and big things to save up for I'm not sure I want to take the pay cut. However, extra time not spent at work that could be spent, oh say, on the comic strip would be super awesome.

::::

Well, long post, but now you know what I've been up to. Catch ya on the flip side.

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

  • At 10:40 PM , Blogger MissE said...

    Comic strip?
    AWESOME! Looking forward to seeing it.

    And big time WOO HOO for the debt free-ness. I'm still a long ways from that status myself. So I has big time respect for you getting there! Well done.

    Love the shots of the apartment. That curvy looking bookcase is cool - I like it. ;o)

    Hope the day is treating you well.
    :o)

     
  • At 12:12 AM , Blogger Steve said...

    Congrats on being debt free. Also glad you are enjoying the space. I feel the same. Also I am supposed to let you know that Steph and I would love to see you during your vacation if you have the time.

     
  • At 2:30 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    MissE - Thank you. I look forward to sharing the comic!

    That book case, I've always called it the Wave Shelf, was definitely a "I. Must. Own. This." purchase! :)

    Hope your finger is feeling better, I saw the picture's on Facebook. Ouch!

    Steve - You should totally post some pictures of your apartment! My plants are totally loving that west facing window in your old room. ;)

    I saw you blogged about hating your new job. :( Things aren't any better?

    It should be no problem for me to stop out to see you and Steph over my vacation. I don't have any solid plans yet, but I'm probably going to rent a car for the week so I can drive where ever I want with out fear of being stranded in Yougottapurdymouth County.

     
  • At 3:05 AM , Blogger Shelley said...

    This is all so awesome that I feel quite inspired (to do what I don't know but still, the feeling is there!).

    I also look forward to the comic strip.

     
  • At 2:52 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Woo! I'm inspirational, or is it inspiring? Dammit, now I"m confused. I get that sometimes too though (the inspired but not sure to what to do). Just run with it, I say. :)

    Thanks for the support. I am excited about getting the comic up and running. There's so much to do!

     
  • At 8:36 AM , Anonymous Mark said...

    Debt free & working on the comics, hey? You really did get motivated.

    Where are you going on your epic vacation? Montreal? Concord, Massachusetts? Tijuana?

     
  • At 1:48 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Mark - Massachusetts?? Actually, I'd like to go to this place, you may have heard of, it's called Australia. ;)

    I don't know when, some time in the next couple years, but that's always been at the top of my vacation wishlist. Now that I have the wherewithal I figure I should, you know, carpe diem.

     
  • At 10:03 AM , Blogger Shelley said...

    Working visa? Come out here for ages?

     
  • At 2:44 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    While abandoning this floundering ship called America for parts foreign is tempting, I think I need to amass some marketable job skills (does being able to get teenagers to do my biding count?) before tackling the international job community. Or something. ;)

    Actually, at the moment, Julia and I are in the (very) preliminary stages of planning a vacation of sightseeing and touristing about. You could pencil us in for "sometime before 2012." There will probably be soliciting of advice on cool things to put on the Must Do list/things-not-to-arse-with-because-they-are-overrated/lame. Like, you know, what do you cool kids recommend? lol :D

     
  • At 6:12 AM , Blogger Shelley said...

    Hey, I'm just pleased that you used the phrase arse-with.

    I guess what you do depends on what you like. And how much cash you have. Some places are still quite expensive to get to though, I understand, still very worthwhile.
    And the lame thing is a tough call. I mean, the Big Pineapple is lame but still...

     
  • At 4:30 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Thanks, I felt it was the appropriate phrase, even though spell check attacked it. I, unthinkingly, put a 'u' in colour about 3/4 of the time, much to my spell-checker's eternal chagrin. :D

     
  • At 5:08 AM , Anonymous Mark said...

    Sweet! Carpe that diem.

    Aside from the enormous deadly snakes for which it is famous, Australia also offers amazing sights such as Uluru, the Grampians, Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras and the Indian Pacific railway. Our official tourism slogan is "where the bloody hell are you?", although by the time you get here we will probably have ramped it up to "why don't you get off yer lazy arse and come visit us, ya dickhead!"

    If in need of further information, consult that book by Bill Bryson. The first thirty pages of it is pretty good, and the rest might be OK too.

     
  • At 2:07 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    One of Ohio's tourism slogan is now "The State of Perfect Balance". Which is cool, but hilarious at the same time. Maybe by the time we get there your slogan will be, "if we find your arse somewhere else we'll drag you here and feed you to the kangaroos." :D

    But seriously, I have read the Bryson book, and enjoyed it all. His "Short History of Nearly Everything" is also quite good.

    Btw, isn't everything enormously deadly? ;)

     
  • At 3:27 AM , Blogger Shelley said...

    Only the insects and snakes are really deadly. Dingos and people can be but, unless you're an Indian student, you usually have to provoke them first. Mark is pretty deadly too.

    What time of year would you be coming?

     
  • At 11:06 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    See, bugs and snakes are small they can sneak up on you. We've got bears and rednecks, but you usually hear them coming.

    We're thinking fall or spring. I think the summer might just be too bloody hot for my taste. :D

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home