Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

I got up early (read: before 11am) to watch coverage of Obama's inauguration today. Not gonna lie here, it was a little emotional. And it is so, so nice to have a president who, when he speaks, I don't have to be restrained from stabbing myself in the brain with the closest object at hand. You know someone who isn't a complete gibbering ape representing our country to the rest of the world. 'Scuse me, a complete gibbering ape puppet mastered by satan's long lost 3rd cousin.

Anyway, Julia, her husband, our good friend Eleanor and I had a little champagne and pizza party to celebrate. We toasted such things as "don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out...you know who you are." Even my roommate, republican though he is, joined us in some friendly discussion.

I liked Obama's inaugural speech. Some of the pundits seemed unhappy with it, but I think that they were just disappointed that it wasn't full of glib phrases they could sound bite. Guess that's just that whole speaking in full sentences and paragraphs thing, not sputtering sentence fragments at a much abused press corps. It was exactly what I wanted to hear, honestly, and it has given me a small measure of that one thing I've been holding back, hope. I can only hope that this really is the turning point. I really want to believe that the change and evolution that this country so desperately needs. But deep down I am a realist, and the Cynic in my head has had a few things to say. So we'll see. We'll see.

Oh, and as for the 'boos' when cheney and bush were announced at the inauguration...I would say that yes, normally, this would have been out of line at an event that celebrates the peaceful, bloodless transfer of power from one president to the next (even if they are from opposite ideologies) in one of the world's leading countries, and that the outgoing president and vice-president should be granted a departure full of dignity in honor of the work they have done for the country, etc...however...however...I think these d-bags might have, uh, earned this little bit of infamy.

Cheers.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think people everywhere were pretty happy about the inauguration. The coverage here was intense, I'll tell you that. But we would be even happier if we knew that the Republicans had learned something about who to trust - and history says that probably isn't the case.

     
  • At 12:14 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    No, I don't think they've learned anything either. It seems that they've slunk off to lick their wounds and try to figure out how to make Sarah Palin go away.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home