Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Updates pt.2: crazy weather and tests

::::Yeah, the weather has been a bit unsettled lately. The entire month of May was unseasonably cold. NOAA reports that the whole country on average had a pretty cold spring. I thought March and April were pretty much par here, but may was very cool which, of course, made me happy. Then, as one would expect, as soon as I went on vacation the temperature hit 90 and stuck. Blech, I hate high humidity. After the rapid temperature we've gotten whomped with thunderstorms pretty regularly. Everybody acts surprised. It's summer, it storms. Why does everybody forget this sort of thing every single year? Here in NW Ohio we have gotten off pretty lucky with the severe weather that's rolled through. Not too much rain and only a minor tornado or two, unlike other places in the MidWest that are experiencing record flooding and/or killer tornadoes. There has only been one storm here in the Beege that sent us scrambling to the basement.

::::Last month I was required to take ServSafe. It's a food safety course, and it's recognized anywhere in the US. Also, it's required for me to keep my job, so kind of important. If you don't pass the first time you can retake it, but on your own time and money. Again, kind of important. Now you can take the course at the community college as a class and it lasts six weeks. The retake course is six sessions. The all-or-nothing/failure-is-not-an-option class I took was one day. Pretty much it's just a review of the material, granted, I got my book a month ahead of time, so it's not unreasonable to expect people to have studied the material. The only really tough part is remembering all the bacterias, viruses, and parasites that can cause food borne illnesses, the symptoms of those illnesses, and what foods are affected by which pathogens. I made flash cards.

Passing grade for the test is 75%. The test had 90 questions, but 10 are "pilot" questions that don't count, so 80 questions which means you can miss 20 and still pass. 20! I honestly think that the passing threshold is a little low. I mean, what they're saying is "Food Safety is Important!!! But if you know three-quarters of it, that's good enough." I read the book, I studied my flash cards, I took notes at the review (she even went over which pathogens were most likey to be on the test). When I finished the test I double checked my answers to make sure I hadn't fucked up somewhere. Then we had to wait a week to get out scores.

I got 100%. I got congratulations from my boss and boss's boss and the teacher of the class and pretty much every manager in the company. "That's not something that happens very often," the teacher told my DM in the email she sent with our scores. One of the manager's who took the test with me was in awe, "I thought I did really good (He got an 88), but you got 100, that's incredible." "Attaboy"s rained down upon me.

Honestly though, when I was taking the test all I could think was, "Dude, this is a fucking joke."

*Shrugs*

4 Comments:

  • At 4:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great work! Ever thought of a career in microbiology? You might have a talent for it ;)

     
  • At 8:17 AM , Blogger MissE said...

    Hurray for Winter!
    You go, Miss 100%!

    Meanwhile, I'm hanging out for a 50% on this fracking crit theory essay that is dogging me big time!

     
  • At 1:12 AM , Blogger phishez said...

    Congrats on passing. Though it sounds like it was a shoe in.

    Still, you did the hard work. You EARNED that grade. And your manager damn sure knows it too.

    Only good things can happen from this.

     
  • At 3:15 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Hey, Thanks guys! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home