Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Monday, June 09, 2008

Updates, pt 1: Drinks

I've been trying to scrape together a post for the last couple days. I don't know what my problem is. I'll start typing and then get distracted or off on a stupid tangent. *shrug*

I was on vacation last week. It was nice, nine days without having to go to work, which was pretty much the extent of what happened on my vacation. I did some shopping (yay for bonus checks to spend wantonly). I watched a lot of tv, visited with friends and slept a lot. My roommate and I and one of our fellow managers SH went out for drinks twice. SH actually works for another store in our company, but their sales are so low in the summer they can't afford all of their manager's salaries, so SH gets to spend the summer with us. She's pretty cool, very nice and funny. It's nice having another manager around who is my age, and well someone I can talk to at work. With the employees there's always that little bit of space you have to keep in your work relationship.

So anyway we went out on Monday to Nate & Wally's Fishbowl to get their signature drink which is called, of course a Fishbowl. I'd never had one before, so SH was totally excited for me to try one. The Fishbowl is served in a plastic fishbowl and comes in two colours, not flavors, colours: blue and purple. Apparently there used to be a red one, but they no longer serve it. I didn't catch what all constitutes a blue fish bowl, but I gather the purple one is made with whiskey and something like purple kool-aid. I opted for the blue one. Unbeknownst to me the blue one is coconut flavored, and I am not the biggest fan of coconut. It was good, just very coconutty, so I only drank about a third before gifting it to SH who was happy to finish it. We also went out Saturday night. Not much going on here in the Beege that night either. I think the wildest thing going on was some girl's choice of fushia leggings with a zebra print skirt. Oh, and the guy who had vampire fangs, they were actually pretty well done, but the overall effect was rather skeezy.

Saturday night was also the scene of the worst long island ice tea I've ever had. It was even worse than the infamous clear long islands at Howards (home of the "Scariest Bathrooms in America") a while ago. I say that these were worse because the clear ones had no mixers at all, and you kind of know what kind of trouble you were getting into. I should have known there would be trouble on the horizon as the first round of drinks were rather strong. I'm of the opinion that drinks that are mixed too strong are just as bad as ones that are water down. But we went back for more mixed drinks, like cows to the watering hole, stupid, stupid cows. Our barwench for the evening did not seem to be enjoying her job or maybe it was just our request for drinks that required making. She began by filling the glasses with ice, completely. I mean, they were big cubes, so there's still room for plenty of liquid, but you know what I'm getting at. Then she grabbed the first two of the four liquors and did a long pour filling the glasses half way. Perhaps she realized that things had already begun to go awry. With the second set of liquors she did a shorter pour, the glasses were now three quarters full. I was concernicus. She then squeezed a bit of mixer in and the glasses were full. Not to be daunted by this she grabbed a shaker and shook each drink and poured them back in the glass, giving just enough room for a squirt of the second mixer. And then we paid for the drinks and attempted to drink them. My thought, after a few sips of vaguely flavored lighter fluid, was that we should request a pitcher and a few cups of mixer and sort the whole thing out for ourselves. We settled on getting a glass of coke to balance them out. And you might think that after having consumed the vicious brew that we would all be quite smashed. Rather, it took us so long to drink them that I believe we were all sober by the time we were finished.

Well, I have more, but it will have to wait. My laptop's batter is pretty low and I can't plug in to recharge right now because the fourth (or so) thunderstorm of the day is rolling through. Don't worry, we have wi-fi, so I'm not going to get the hell electrocuted out of me. Laters.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:51 AM , Blogger MissE said...

    You gotta hate it when they can't mix the drinks properly. Pretty bloody annoying really.

    Hey - I've had nearly 6 months of paid vacation... wanna know what I"ve done with it? Hmmm, let's see... moved 3000km East, slept, started a Uni course, slept, watched A LOT of TV, gotten into a play, watched many many DVDs, slept, started working as a relief teacher, gone to the movies, slept... I does love the sleeping!

     
  • At 5:35 AM , Blogger phishez said...

    I seriously hate poorly mixed drinks.

    SERIOUSLY!

     
  • At 11:53 PM , Blogger Steve said...

    The drinks were bad. I don't think I will try that one again.

     
  • At 11:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Preparing a Long Island Ice tea seems to be the beverage equivalent of a space shuttle launch, given how many things can go wrong in the process. Plus, even if you get a good one, the odds are that you will still regret drinking it later.

    Oh and 'scariest bathrooms in America?' wtf? I'm imagining something like Halloweekends, with people jumping out at you while you're at the urinals. Messy.

     
  • At 1:26 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    MissE - mmmmmm....sleeep.

    Phishez - I know right? :)

    Steve - But they're so tasty when they're made right!

    Mark - Ew, that would be messy. And hella awkward.

    The only time I was willing to go into the bathrooms there I was too drunk to remember much of my surroundings.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home