Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I'm on fire!

Okay, I'm not, but things at work were today. I was sitting in the office hastily slapping together a schedule for the crew since I was told I have to do it in only two hours instead of three meaning that this next schedule did not receive the level love and attention I usually lavish on the arranging of employee shifts when one of my fellow managers (no, not Steve) came flailing along in a panic.
"Hey, it'sonfireshouldIpullthething?" he spewed at me.
"What's on fire?" I asked.
"The fryer. Should I pull the thing*?"
"No. How big is it? You can't pull it unless it's big."
"It's huge**!"
I followed him up to the line. Smoke was rising from one of the fryer kettles and little tongues of orange flamer were peeking over the edge. I think I may have laughed.
"Jeez, just get the fire extinguisher and put it out."
He scuttled over and grabbed the thing. I thought for a moment we might have to get scissors to get the safety tag off, but in the end he got it. One quick burst of the fire extinguisher and everything was all settled with no mess to clean up except rinsing out that mostly empty fryer.

Some people do all the panicking.

*The "thing" in question is the fire suppression system. It sprays out a metric shit-ton of powdery crap that, obviously, puts out any fire that might be present. If activated the all of the food on the line has to be thrown away. The store has to be shut down for several days for clean-up, equipment replacement, inspection, etc. The system is expensive to recharge after an activation. It also should not be activated when there is anyone near because the powder can be hazardous to breathe in. Essentially, it should only be deployed as the last desperate measure as you evacuate the store screaming "run you fuckers, run!"

**I am imagining an entire wall engulfed in flames here. Although, the lack of shouting, or say, the sound of such a conflagration, was suspicious.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:09 PM , Blogger Steve said...

    When I have had people I catch the store on fire I only yell at them. Usually, "FIRE, FIRE, WHAT THE HELL DO MEAN FIRE???"

    Not some of my best moments.

     
  • At 1:20 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    You do kind of freak out steve

     
  • At 12:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    The store catches fire regularly? That's, uh, a bit worrying... but at least there's someone around who can keep a cool head in a crisis. Personally, I'd be panicking like Steve and reaching for the 'douse everyone in chemicals' button.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home