Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Headline News, or not

:::::Before my day off yesterday I had to work six days in a row. Normally, I only work four, then have a day off, work a day, and another day off. I like the schedule. I don't get my days off together, but it's Thursday and Saturday. And Fridays at work usually aren't bad. However, after four days in a row I'm ready for a day off. They're ten hour days (minimum, most often more), so I'm not being a baby.
:::::Well due to some stuff my boss had going on I wound up working six days in a row. You can imagine by the sixth day I was kind of...twitchy. Especially since every single day had awesome weather. It's warmed up, the sun was shining, awesome. Of course, yesterday it rained, all day. Today I have to work again. There's a chance of a storm or two later, but it's warm and not doing anything now. Tomorrow I have off and it's supposed to rain all day long.
:::::Damn you, weather.

:::::My mother invited me to go to Chicago with her and my two sisters on Saturday to a quilt show. By the way, my mother makes quilts. Very nice quilts, she's won awards. Ask her, she'll tell you about it. Anyway, I do not make quilts. And while I enjoy the benefits of the quilts she's made me, I'm not really into quilts. I could only walk around and look at them or listen to people talk about them for so long before I'd become terminally bored and order my cadre of ninjas to attack.
:::::The other factor(s) that led to me declining the invitation (which I received with less than a week's notice) was the 4+ hour drive to get there. Normally I enjoy a good drive, but I would not have been the driver. I would have been trapped in a car, with my mother and two sisters. Don't get me wrong, one of my sisters, Youngest Sister, I am quite okay with. Middle Sister and I, however, suffer from irreconcilable differences. My mother and I have some history. I am willing to lay it aside and be civil for family functions and the occasional lunch date, but 8 hours in one car in one day is asking a lot.

::::Spring is here, and even I am a little glad. For many reasons really, not the least of which is that our hours at work will go back to their late night schedule. Sure my closing shifts will end two hours later, meaning I'll get home somewhere in the vicinity of 1:30 am, but I won't be going to bed much, if any, later. What it really means is that when I roll out of bed at noon...thirty...ish I'll have time to actually do stuff before I have to go to work since I get to go in two hours later. And that makes me a happy camper.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 7:58 PM , Blogger MissE said...

    10 hours?
    BOOOOO!
    No wonder you're twitchy.
    Poor Winter.

    I can understand the reluctance to shut yourself into a car for an 8 hour round trip with a person you don't get along with and another with whom there are issues... doesn't matter if they're family. And quilts? Yeah... I'm thinking a termination point of 30 minutes before I'd be starting to ask the quilters weird questions just to see what happened.

    Enjoy Spring - I'm loving the fact that Autumn is finally showing its hand here.

     
  • At 6:42 PM , Blogger Steve said...

    Is it sad that I don't even know anything but a 10 hour day anymore. By the way my personal best is 9 days straight and twitchy doesn't even begin to discribe how I felt at the end of it.

    I so get why you don't want to be in a car for hours at a time with your family.

     
  • At 3:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ten hour days? You guys are hardcore.

    Chicago sounds cool, but I guess if you live nearby it's not a huge deal.

     
  • At 11:14 PM , Blogger lucy said...

    See that's why I love having a mother who lives on the other side of the country. When I do see her I'm really happy to see her.

    But even 8 hours with her and my sister would result in some bloodshed. Not mine, obvs.

    And yeah, I feel you on the long days. Hope you slept a lot and caught up on stuff on your days off...

     
  • At 11:52 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Misse - Most days I can take the hours, especially when you consider I have almost zero communte time.

    I think it would take me 47 minutes tops to weird out everyone in the quilt show. I'm dangerous when I'm bored.

    Steve - yeah, but you're kind of twitchy to start with.

    Mark - Thx.

    You know I might have suffered through and went if they were going to some cool museums or something.

    Lucy - Yes, indeed I always get my sleep on my day off.

    On a side note, how cute is your cat!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home