Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Of Green Beer and Suspicious Bites

Hey, how's it going? I realized that it has been almost a month since I last blogged. What's been keeping me away? Well, honestly, there's been a lot of nothing going on lately. A lot of nothing really. I mean scads of nothing. Days like today where I spent an extra hour at work, but did not even start writing the crew schedule due to the fact that our entire computer systems decided to stop working properly. Now I'll have to go in on my day off to do it. *sigh*

**One of my friends and I went out on St. Patrick's Day to have a few green beers. I spent the day considering the adoption of all manner of holidays by Americans as opportunities to wear (or do) things and drink. St Patty's? We wear green and drink Halloween? Dress up in costumes and drink. Cinco de Mayo? Well we don't usually dress up (although there's probably some bro's wearing sombreros) but we eat mexican food (before we drink), and drink. 4th of July: blow things up, cook animals over open flame, and drink. Thanksgiving: Eat (A LOT) and drink.

Well, I honestly think that we need a few more of these types of days to fill out the year. I have a few suggestions:


President's day - wear powdered wig or top hat & beard, and drink.
Blockbuster day - this would be the Friday in May when the year's big summer blockbuster hits theaters and we dress up like characters from that movie, watch the movie, then drink. So this year we all dress like Indiana Jones.
First Day of Summer - Wear thongs (whichever type you like) and drink.
Columbus day - Wear period clothes, go to an established bar, claim that we got there first and discoverd it. ;) OH, and drink.

**I got bit by something last week, and it wasn't love. I was sitting at my desk when I felt a sharp pain in my arm. I thought maybe I burned my self at work, or cut myself, or whatever, and was just now noticing. That is until I got up the next morning and I had a deep purple welt about two inches across on my arm which the following day was even larger, but red instead of purple. The only explanation I could come up with was a spider bite (I think I've been bitten before and had a bit of welting, but never that bad). This leaves me with two thoughts. One, it's possible that I'm sensitive to spider bites. And two, there may be something legged and bite-y lurking in my bedroom.

Nothing really exciting going on.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "there may be something legged and bite-y lurking in my bedroom.

    Nothing really exciting going on."

    That seems a bit incongruous. Fanged beasts in your bed are boring?

    I'm trying to think of drinking-dedicated days that Australia has but the US doesn't... but there aren't really any. We don't even do Cinco de Mayo or Steve Irwin Day. We do have Australia Day / Invasion Day, but that's not exportable. How about ANZAC day? All the soldiers get up early and drink shots of rum and Vegemite (that's what makes 'em so tough in combat.)

    Good luck with your story. 2300 down, only ~68000 to go!

     
  • At 11:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Lol. Mark you forgot that we celebrate any day that ends in a Y. That's enough excuse to get shit faced!

     
  • At 1:55 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Mark - hey if you commercialize anything up Americans will drink to it.

    Bitchtasm - Nice to see you back! A lot of people around here celebrate the Y days too. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home