Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Civic Duties

Today I attended my Skywarn weather spotter training class for this year. I was unable to attend last year due to management training. Since weather spotters are required to update their training ever 2 to 3 years I wanted to make sure I went this year. Plus it's always nice to get a refresher. I'm glad I went as the speaker discussed the National Weather Service's new Storm Based Warnings (threat based polygon warnings) and some features on the website. I had already read about the new warning system, but it was good to hear how local emergency management is handling the new system.

After the seminar I headed to Waterville where the Red Cross was having a blood drive. I've been meaning to go and donate for a while, but factors always seem to be against me. I lucked out today, they were having a blood drive just minutes from where my Skywarn class was. I haven't given blood since I was in highschool. I've felt guilty about that. I've even joked that since I'm O Neg that the next time I made it to a blood drive they were going to strap me down and take two pints instead of one. Which is funny because in the years since I've last been, they're actually able to do that now. Actually they take two units of red blood cells and give you your plasma back (along with extra saline). I'm a champ, so I gave double. And the best thing about giving two at once is, well obviously, I got two taken care of in one day. Now I just have to remember to go again in 112 days.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Love those polygons. Very impressive how they're updated every few minutes.

    Congrats on giving blood. I hardly ever do it nowadays, and feel so very guilty.

     
  • At 12:31 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Thanks, guilt finally won out over busy-ness, and you know convience of a blood drive right by something else I had to go to. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home