Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

I've been busy

And I hate that I haven't had time to blog. Work and sleep and sleep and work.

**Wednesday was an intense day. The company owner and both district managers (or as I like to call them, the honchos) were in my store because we got one of our two yearly inspections dropped on us by international. As the guy put it it's really a "snapshot" of how your store's doing. I think he was surprised when I said I wasn't nervous. I know Steve was freaking out, calling the honchos in, running around crazy. Personally, I feel that panic is a poor use of your energy. If I need to freak out I will do it later, preferably in the comfort of my own home. Oh, and we ridiculously busy that night and understaffed in general and definitely understaffed for that quantity of business. However, my employees did a fantastic job. If I was a hugger there would have been hugs aplenty. And I did pretty well on the inspection. If my district manager is happy, then I'm happy. I feel good because this is kind of big deal and I didn't screw it up, sort a validation of how I'm doing and what I'm capable of handling. Makes me all warm and fuzzy.

**As I've said, I have a problem with things. Specifically getting rid of things. However, I have made a rather large pile of stuff I'm parting with. I have a list of larger items I'm looking for homes for, like my old PC. All this sorting of my possessions has lead me to ponder some deep questions: "how many bath towels does one person need?" and "How did I end up with four and half sets of measuring cups and four and a half sets of measurings spoons anyway?" also "Why did I think a glass cutting board was a good idea?"

**MissE has challenged me to a game of Scramble on Facebook. Which is exactly like Boggle, which I've always loved. I now have a new addiction. It's a bit tricksy if you're a bit dyslexic though.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 5:20 AM , Blogger MissE said...

    Fear me for I am evil!!!

    It's bloody insane!!! I can never find any of these mythical 6 and 7 letter words... I think that they are lying. LYING I SAY!!

    Yay for the inspection going well!
    I find panic can be fun to watch though... like announcing pop quizzes to students... it's soooo entertaining to watch the panic drop onto their faces.

    A great way to get rid of stuff? Move 3000km across the country - and be trying to get the cost down on the move! :o)

     
  • At 8:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Way to pass inspection :) I must say, I genuinely liked the burger I had there. Not so sure about the little cups of sauce for dipping your chips in, but I take it that's a triditional American thing.

     
  • At 7:41 PM , Blogger Steph said...

    Well done you! Keeping head honcho's happy is no mean feat in any industry.

     
  • At 1:44 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Misse: I think I found a 7 or 8 word letter once. I wanted to yell "I rule you Scramble" but seeing as it was, like, two in the morning I thought that wouldn't be a good idea.

    Oh, panic is great fun to watch. I wasn't a manager last year when the inspector from international came, but I got to announce his being there to the managers. Cue Super Panic Mode!

    Pfft, I'm moving 5 blocks and don't want to carry things up and down 3 flights of stairs if I can help it. That's enough to motivate me. :)

    Mark - Thanks!

    You mean the ketchup cups? You've got to have cups of ketchup for your french fries. People freak out when there's none. Seriously. ;)

    Steph - Thanks! Truly, not fucking up in front of the honchos is the key to a happy work environment (and a long career).

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home