Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Ugly Side

I have to admit, I've been avoiding blogging for the past week. I have some things I want to write about, but I'm having trouble. It's hard for me to talk about my feelings. Normally I keep all of my emotions tucked away in a box special for that purpose because, well, they're not anybody's business but my own right? I see those people who's feelings are all sloppy and they are flinging them all over and I want to punch them in the face, a little. I'm not saying I expect everyone to be zombies or robots. I understand we all deal in different ways. Mine is just to deal with my shit in the privacy of my own head. The problem, as should become obvious, is that if you keep putting things in the box and not sorting it one day you'll knock it off the shelf (because I can be a klutz). Then it's like you have a big pile of tangled electrical cords and necklaces that all need to be straightened out.

Well, you get the idea of the metaphor. Why so emotionally independent? A number of reasons, but I've always been the calm one, the rational one. Do you ever find it easier to be brave when others are scared because they're scared? Not that you were even scared to begin with, but it gives your bravery an urgency because now you have to be strong for them as well as yourself. (Or patient when others are angry or calm when others are panicked?) Or is that just me? I never had anyone to be the strong one for me. My dad would have been the one if my mother hadn't made it as difficult as possible for him to see us after the divorce. By the time I was able to start spending more time with him I was past the point where I could be open with people. A person can't help you if they don't know there is a problem after all.

Hitting publish is going to be the hardest thing. It's so hard for me to say things, even if they're not surprising for other people to hear. Once it's out there, there is no taking it back. There's that part of me that will hate myself every time I read this and call me weak. That part of me is the most critical judge of myself. I'm harder on myself than anyone else ever would be. Or at least I pray to any merciful gods that I am. Because we all know they can't hurt you if you've already told yourself the same thing, right? And that voice in my head, well, she's the cruelest person I've ever met. I don't let any of her words touch anyone else, so you know who she talks about the most then. Even so, I've reached the point in my life where I'm happy enough I don't hear too much from that bitch anymore. But when she does show up, it sucks. It was after such a moment the other night when it occurred to me that I might actually be too hard on myself. (Let your guard up and they'll cut you down for it, the voice says to that.) I seriously thought about it though. I might actually be too hard on myself. So I'm going to post this because listening to that voice doesn't make me happy, and I know, deep down, that admitting your weaknesses is what makes you truly strong. I can take whatever is thrown at me, she's made sure of that, even if she doesn't think it first for me anymore.

So where does that leave us? The issues of being overweight and being single, I suppose. Do I have a realistic idea of how others perceive me? Probably not. I'm trying to lose weight because I want to be healthier. I think in the past I've mentally roadblocked myself on this one because being overweight is a "good reason" for why you're single. I'm partially scared of losing the fat because there's a line of thinking that says if I'm skinnier and still single than I'm either ugly and/or uninteresting. Neither of which I honestly believe, but that would leave us then with the "there's something wrong with me" thought, but who knows. Maybe I'm delusional. Fat makes you think crazy things* after all. It's maddening though, you'd think there would be more people willing to overlook a mild excess of subcutaneous fat in their search for a partner**.

Well, I actually feel better now. Hope you enjoyed your ride on the feelings coaster. Please keep hands and arms inside the car until the train has come to a complete stop. Enjoy the rest of your day here in Blogville.

~Winter



*Sealab 2021 anyone?

**Let's never mind the offer of a date I received last week. It was delivered by proxy and from a lad who's never actually met me, but has seen my myspace*** page. I haven't made a decision yet.

***Complete with obligatory picture of self taken in bathroom mirror.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • At 7:25 AM , Blogger Shelley said...

    Thank you for posting this. It reminds me very much of someone who shall remain hidden behind a rather stupid pseudonym...(hmm, wonder who?)

    I've always thought that the whole purpose of life, well, the conscious life and not all that boring biological shit, is to understand ourselves. So, in a sense I'm more than happy to hang in my own head and obsess and try to work things out. Doing that and talking talking always talking to people and, curiously, an anonymous [well, partially these days] blog has really helped me to understand myself so much better and has taught me to share in a way that I never used to. The honesty and the self-brutality that I (sometimes) display on my blog have bled into my real world to good effect. I am now more honest and more open than I used to be. And in my long-winded way what am I trying to say? I think you're doing pretty okay and, obviously, you've made a break-through in your own head and that is pretty fucking awesome. I'm sure it will only get better from here - on the whole you know, please don't blame me if the next week is awful ;)

    Oh, one little thing though - post more please.

     
  • At 6:50 PM , Blogger lucy said...

    Yep, most of this was like you'd reached into my head.

    Kudos on hitting the publish button, because I tend to have a small group of friends who I'm very close with I tend to share all with them without too much censorship, and that washes over into my page. But not all of them are like that and I respect someone who can mull things over before telling people, versus blurting everything and anything out (guilty as charged.)

    Bu god the dating/overweight thing just kills me because it's so close to how my mind ticks over sometimes that I can't comment any more than say I hear you.

    I second Nail to, post more!

     
  • At 3:54 AM , Blogger KittyMeow said...

    Wow. I've been lurking for a while but this post really struck a chord with me. Like Lucy, I'm incredibly private about any issues I have and, only a couple of extremely close friends ever get to hear about my insecurities. Always the one to be doling out advice and helping others out with their problems but when it comes to something I can't handle I scrutinise and pick and pull everything apart trying to get a handle on it.

    So if you're anything like me, I can understand how hard it was for you get all that out. But don't think yourself weak for it at all - self criticism is great but relinquishing some of those worries can often lead to a fresh new look on the problem and finding others who feel the same way and can empathise :-)

    As for being single after you've lost the weight - if someone is so shallow as to find you unattractive, thin or "with a mild excess of fat", then who's loss is it really? I know it sounds cheesy but its one of those lines that are so true.

    Keep up the excellent post - I hope you're feeling like a weight has been lifted :-D

     
  • At 10:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Aww Becky! You're neither ugly nor uninteresting. Obviously!

    And being single isn't so bad in my opinion. There's less washing up, and you can burp as loud as you like. I bet you and Steve have crazy burping contests and that would all come to an end.

    Seriously though, what I mean is losing weight may make you happier and healthier and more studly (is there a female word for that?) but don't think that there's something wrong with you or that you need a man to be happy. That's crazy talk.

     
  • At 6:23 AM , Blogger MissE said...

    So clearly the voice in your head and the one in my head go to the same clubs or something...

    In all honesty, I could have written this practically word for word:
    Do I have a realistic idea of how others perceive me? Probably not. I'm trying to lose weight because I want to be healthier. I think in the past I've mentally roadblocked myself on this one because being overweight is a "good reason" for why you're single. I'm partially scared of losing the fat because there's a line of thinking that says if I'm skinnier and still single than I'm either ugly and/or uninteresting.

    But I'm trying to strangle that bitch in my head and trying to believe it when my friends and family say positive things about me.

    So, here's to you, Winter, and to me, and to all the women (and girls) out there who are struggling to silence the most critical voice in their lives. May 2008 be our year.

    We can do this.
    We rock!
    We are beautiful, intelligent, funny, lovable women and if some guy can't see that - well, he doesn't deserve the time of day from any of us!

    Hang in there.

     
  • At 3:10 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Nails - You're welcome and thank you. You know, I never have trouble talking to people in a general sense. I've never had trouble chatting up even complete strangers, and I've spent hours and hours and hours discussing anything and everything with my close friends. Yet, it seems that there are always things I hold back. Which is why I need to post more, get it all out there and what not. Right? :D

    Lucy - You guys are the best. It's so nice to be able to throw my thoughts out and hear an "I hear you". And I don't want anyone to think that I don't have great friends, because I do. I'm sure I could get as feeling-y as I wanted with them, I just don't and that's all on my end. And yes to more posts. :)

    P.S. My roommate, Steve, is terribly sad because he can no longer read your blog, which puts him down to, like, three blogs to read (or something). So he'd like to be invited, if that's cool and I can find his email.

    KittyMeow - First, "Hello!" and thanks for de-lurking. It's nice to have you.

    I'm totally and advice giver too. :) Thankfully, as I've gotten older I've learned when I'm in over my head and one I can still tough it out on my own. And those lines are true, we all know it, but sometimes when you're sitting home late at night it's hard to believe, eh?

    Mark - Aw, thanks Mark! I think you made me blush.

    I think I've got a whole post rattling around about how much I enjoy the benefits of being single (I can be as contradictory as I want, I'm a woman, dammit!).

    I don't know if there's a female version of studly, but I'm pretty sure I've never even heard Steve burp. He's other a gentleman or a robot...

    MissE - Well, I think that your, lucy's, nails', and my head voices apparently all go clubbing together. ;)

    You know, I have gotten better about taking compliments. I used to argue them. Now I take them with a simple "Thank You" even if I think the giver might be deranged. Seriously, they might be telling the truth, but some of the people I've had to deal with were whack-jobs! :)

    Here's to all of us.

     
  • At 9:40 PM , Blogger Steve said...

    First off you are a great person and I am glad so many other people agree. You should tell those voices in your head to shut up. Not in public though, people tend to stare.

    I won't say to much about the single thing since I am chronicaly single too.

    As for the burping thing, I tend not to burp in public it's rude. I don't know why I still care.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home