Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Rundown

::::The lease on my apartment is up in August, and my roommate and I have, for various reasons, decided not to renew it. We will most likely continue to be roommates, only at a different venue. My hope is that we will find something by the end of the month. The theme of the things I'm keeping in mind while looking is Less. Less stairs, less crazy landlord, less bro-y. Although, I have to say that there has been a definite lack of bro activity (brotivities, if you will) over the holidays.

::::The weather is being particularly strange lately. Last week it was cold. It was five degrees when I came home from work one night. Yesterday it was 70. I was forced to dig out my thongs and shorts to go to the store after work. In fucking January. Now, today it has been pouring buckets. This is really screwing with my head!

::::For New Years a couple of friends and I made plans to go out to the bars. Much to my surprise my normally t-shirt and jeans wearing friends told me they were dressing up. After trying a couple outfits I settled on a black dress and heels. When I called them to meet up they were already drinking and expressed disdain at walking to the bars and back since it was cold and raining. We decided to just have a night in, but seeing as how I was already dressed and done I thought "fuck it, I'm not going to change now." I rarely get opportunities to dress up and this was the first time I had worn the dress in question, so what if we were just going to sit around their living room all night.

Our decision to not walk proved well founded. It was just getting cold enough for the ground to start becoming slick when I left my place to head over. A fact that I discovered by slipping and falling right outside my building. My roommate came rushing over to help me up, but the damage was already done. I was damp and muddy and my pride was severely bruised. However, I did not break any of the liquor bottles I was carrying.

At my friend's apartment they complimented my dress and exclaimed over my shoes. I think K. may have been drooling over them. I made our group's drink, pineapple upside-down cake shots. The rest of the evening was a pleasant string of drinking, picture taking, dancing, and my theory that Dick Clarke is either a vampire or a robot.

::::I still haven't taken down my christmas decorations. For shame, I know! It's on my list. I like making lists. They help me organize my thoughts, and I tend to forget little things. Sometimes my lists take on delusions of task accomplishment grandeur.

::::I'm trying to break my soda habit. I have been able to stop drinking diet soda. It's my understanding that diet pop is actually not very conducive to weight loss. Now I'm slowing breaking myself off of all pop. It's hard though. Where else am I going to get my bit of caffeine in the morning since I don't drink coffee? And while pop doesn't have the addictive properties of, say, nicotine or crack, it's so crisp and refreshing, and you have to drink something. Every time I walk by the pop machine at work it calls to me. It beckons and mocks me with its cold tasty goodness. Excuse me, I have to go fill my water bottles for tomorrow. *sigh*

::::I was feeling good about myself. Maybe it was the new years compliments, or the pop banishing. I don't know, I'm leo so sometimes I just like me. At any rate, out of some self confidence inspired stupidity a few days ago I thought I should weigh myself. Big mistake. I had to stand there for a minute and just stare at the damn number. I had gained ten pounds since the last time I weighed myself (which I have just realized may have been as much as three months ago...). I was pissed. So pissed that I'm actually on a diet plan, something I've never tried before. Oh, I've tried losing weight before with exercise and half-assed attempts at eating healthy. This time I have a plan. If there's one, no, three things I like it's having a plan, a decisive direction, and taking action. I have to figure out if I can work going to the gym into my work schedule and if my membership has expired yet in order to fulfill the second part of my genius plan.

So we'll see how that works out.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • At 10:58 PM , Blogger Steph said...

    Good luck with the weight loss. I just could NEVER give up Pepsi. It runs in my veins!

     
  • At 9:30 AM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    Brotivities. LoL.

    Everytime I see the elder newlove driving around in his huge cadillac head barely over the dash, I have to chuckle. I imagine that in his mind he envisions himself an emperor surveying his lofty college ghetto kingdom.

     
  • At 12:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey, throw away that cream pie recipe and it'll add years to your life ;) Not that life will be the same without it...

    New Years Eve is a house party occasion, I think, what with all the falling down people do. Plus, you can't light sparklers in a bar.

     
  • At 2:40 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Steph - Thanks. My roommate has a serious coca-cola habit, so I know how that goes. :)

    Julia - LOL. I've seen him twice in the last couple of weeks wandering around. The first time he was moving little piles of snow the second he was raking at nonexistant leaves.

    Mark - No, I think you have to pass the recipe on to someone else. That's how they got rid of the curse in "The Ring" anyway.

     
  • At 7:49 AM , Blogger Shelley said...

    I broke my soft drink habit. I can't remember how though. I now just drink so much tea that some days I think I shall explode.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home