Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Friday, October 26, 2007

Vacation Recap, Part 2


Jack O' Lanterns!

Tuesday we carved pumpkins and watched some scary movies. Good, er, gross, slimy fun. I forgot how messy cleaning out pumpkins is. Seems a bit barbaric too, if you ask me. :) Look at Julia's pumpkin (the one on the far right), she's such a show off. However she did introduce us to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which is freakin' hilarious, so I can't gripe about her superior pumpkin carving skills. If you haven't seen this show it's worth checking out.

Wednesday I was supposed to drive us to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. First I stopped for gas, and after we had gotten back on the road somebody pointed out I had left the fuel door thingy open. I can say with a reasonable amount of surity that I have never done before. When I stopped to close it I realized that I had also not put the gas cap on. Consequently, it was now lost. I have most definitely never done that before. That kind of thing is totally unlike me. I blame being sick for being off my game. Speaking of being sick, I ended up sharing my germs and getting Julia and Mark sick too. Yay, colds for everybody!


Where was I? Oh, yeah, Wednesday. I didn't end up driving because my car was overheating again! Thursday I took it in and finally got everything sorted out *fingers crossed*. Seems the fan wasn't running therefore the engine wasn't staying cool. Now I have a sweet switch in my dash so I can manually turn it on (since I wasn't willing to fork over $600+ for a new computer for the car).

Let's see, what else did we do...


...Bowling...












...Roller Coasters and haunted houses at Cedar Point...

Which I have to say was the most crowded it has ever been when I have been there. It was just a giant mass of people shuffling from one end of the park to the other. We did get to ride some of my favorite coasters though. The haunted house was predictably lame, except for this tunnel you walked through that had lights spinning around it. Yeah, I pretty much fell over into the railing. My brain was was trying to tell my body that the room wasn't spinning, but
my damn eyes were duped by the illusion of spinning christmas lights. Consequently I had to pull myself along the railing to get to the doorway, which seemed to be twisting while standing still. The crazy tunnel of dizziness made all the cheesy fake vampires well worth it.



...and Tetris.
Which I kind of Ruled.


Mark was nice enough to bring me a sampling of Australian coins, since I collect coins this made my nerdy little heart happy. (and a koala, because who doesn't love those furry little buggers? They're so cute :).

Well, I've been working on this for a couple days, so I guess I'll wrap it up now. If I think of anything else from vacation that might be blogworthy you'll be the first to know.

14 Comments:

  • At 1:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's funny that fluffy koala toys are so popular when, IRL, koalas are vicious little bastards. If gum leaves weren't so abundant they'd switch to human flesh pretty quickly.

    I've finally blogged about my trip, btw, and my best photos are up on flickr.

     
  • At 2:50 AM , Blogger Shelley said...

    Aw, Mark is so cute with the coins and the koalas (I've never had one be vicious to me, I wonder what he does to them to piss them off?).

     
  • At 4:22 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Mark - I think I've heard before that they're bastards. Cats are kind of the same way. You know if they were bigger or you forgot to feed them for a day or two they'd be plotting ways to kill eat you.

    Nails - I think he was laughing at us as we were exclaiming over the platypus and other animals on the coins, all our coins have on them are dead presidents. (Maybe he antagonizes the koalas, makes cracks about their mums?)

     
  • At 7:09 AM , Blogger Shelley said...

    Oh my, thank goodness for the queen thing and the fauna. How repulsive to have PMs or GGs all over the money.

    I think most koalas are so stoned they'd just be like 'duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, whaaaaaa?'

     
  • At 11:15 AM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    Hmmm. Zombie koalas? That could be Australia's answer to NZ's Black Sheep. Which I totally want to see btw.

    I would much rather our coins have pictures of squirrels and cows on them rather than crusty old dead presidents.

    Also, I am the pumpkin carving MASTER! :P

     
  • At 8:28 PM , Blogger Steph said...

    cool! Cash! And our dollar is almost worth as much as yours! Hooray!

     
  • At 6:27 AM , Blogger Shelley said...

    Nah, that's drop bears you're thinking of ;)

    You carve excellent pumpkin.

     
  • At 5:00 AM , Blogger phishez said...

    The pumpkins look really cool. Wish we had something like that over here. Instead we have wildlife that everybody else loves, but are just weird and twisted and our koalas have chlamydia.

     
  • At 9:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Our Koalas have STDs? That's why should always use protection...

    Sorry. On a less disturbing note, I read Blood Sucking Fiends on the plane and it was pretty good. I guess it would have liked it more if I could understand Jody's motivations in the second half of the book, but it was still pretty funny. Thanks for giving me it :)

     
  • At 2:38 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Nails - stoned koalas, lol.

    Colonel - I forgot we saw that preview, definitely a must watch.

    Also, have squirrels on money would be hilarious!

    Steph - distracted by shiney objects, nice ;)

    Nails - What's a drop bear?

    Phishez - I've heard that before. Your koalas are dirty, dirty whores. :P

    Mark - Glad you liked the book! You're quite welcome.

    Which motivations are you referring to, btw?

     
  • At 2:28 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, we understand her in the first half of the book; we can see why she does what she does and we can see her intentions are usually pretty good. Later, we can no longer understand why she is doing what she is doing, or see the sense in it. Maybe it's because the vampireness is taking her over, but the story doesn't really go into that. It's just a bit confusing because she's supposed to be a main character, but she becomes opaque for no particular reason.

     
  • At 1:47 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    I understand what you're talking about. I guess, I assumed it was some of the coming into her vampireness, and wanting to track the other vampire down, but you make a good point. :)

     
  • At 9:01 PM , Blogger Shelley said...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_bear

    But don't tell anyone, we like to keep it secret.

     
  • At 3:48 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Figured just about as much.

    I find the mental image of such an attack to be quite funny.

    It's like the "Jag-u-lars" in winnie the pooh "They call out 'hallooooo' and then when you look up...they drop on you."

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home