Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I don't ask for much...

...and boy do I get it.

You know, I try not to be a hard ass at work. All I ask is that you show up and do your damn work. This job is not that hard, trust me. Apparently this is too much to ask from some people as one of our new hires decided to never come in (or call) on Sunday.

Look, I realize that this is not a glamorous job (although at times it can be exciting, like, oh say, when things are on fire! And sometimes it is quite fun). It's not the kind of job eight-year-olds draw pictures of themselves doing and declaring it what they "want to be when they grow up". It's not the kind of job you want to do forever. I don't want to do it forever, but dammit, it's my job right now so I'm going to do it right. It pays the rent, puts ramen on the table and beer in the fridge, okay? I have a plan. Right now we're on step two: keep working at crap job and pay off debt. Sometime next year we'll move into step three.

I know that for most people working under me this job is simply a stepping stone to the next thing. It's the thing that gives them money to buy their first car. It's something to do while in college for beer money. For some, it's an island rising out of a sea of welfare money, briefly visited. For others, it's the last stop before falling into the snare of geriatric wal-mart greeter, and once you start down that path forever will it be your destiny, consume you it will.

However, just because it's not a job you brag about having doesn't mean you should do it as shittily as possible. There's a bare minimum there that has to be met. I shouldn't have to beat your ass every time a minor task needs done. I'm going to end up with carpal tunnel and you're going to have ass calluses (not hot).

I think how you handle the little jobs and the shit jobs in life says a lot about you. If you think you're too good to do the work here, maybe you ought to find something that is more suited to your station, your highness. This job is below plenty of us in terms of intelligence and ability. We still did it, we even screwed around ten times as much as the lot of you now, and still got more work done.

...

You'll have to excuse me now, I have to go put on my anti-whining armor and my ass beating gloves.




.....

Coming soon maybe: A List of the Transgressions of Number One Foe

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At 8:35 PM , Blogger Steve said...

    I hate that people think because you have a job that they consider lowly that you are the dirt under there feet. Yes I have a shit job, but I am a resonably intelligent, caring person and they are just assholes.

     
  • At 9:16 PM , Blogger MissE said...

    It really irritates the shit out of me when I go into a store and the person serving me is clearly so utterly miserable and/or bored about their job that they don't even try to hide it. It makes me feel bad for wanting them to serve me.

    Worse are the ones who are rude and snarky, like some how it is my fault that this is the job they currently have.

    Honestly - if you work in a service based industry then you need to remember that a simple smile and couple of polite words will do wonders!

     
  • At 8:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I figure it only takes a bit more effort to do a job passably well than to just show up and screw around. So you may as well just do things right.

    Of course, that's just in theory. And it all goes out the window if you're feeling demoralised and hopeless and stressed, which is a pretty common condition really.

     
  • At 5:00 PM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    When I start feeling demoralised I just steal things. That usually makes me feel better. :)

    I agree that regardless the job, you should do it well. I like to take pride in my work. No matter what it is.

     
  • At 10:50 PM , Blogger Shelley said...

    This all sounds horribly familiar.

    I seem to have an absolutely ridiculous work ethic that means the more they screw me over the harder I work and I the nicer I am - yes, I think I've lost my mind. Or, I might of gone so far over the edge of sarcasm that my hate and loathing now seems to be something like nice. Hm. I think I'll stick with 'I've finally lost my mind'.

    Really, though, it's not that hard to do a good job and I don't [which is odd coming from me given how lazy I am] understand how anybody could be that lazy.

     
  • At 1:15 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Steve - Where is this reasonably intelligent, caring side you're talking about? When I'm around you're catching the kitchen on fire, being a sarcastic jerk, and whatnot. :P

    Misse - Yes, it's amazing how much you can accomplish simply by being calm and polite. I find it disarms even the most irate customers.

    Mark - Exactly. I've even worked with people who put way more effort into extravegant measures to avoid doing work than it would actually take to just do the work.

    Eggroll - Nice. Theiveses.

    Nails - "gone over the edge of sarcasm" I think that's what I have going on sometimes. I agree with you and Col.Eggroll about having a good work ethic and doing taking pride in one's work, even it it's retarded. ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home