Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

What happened on the way to work on Monday

So yeah, the last two weeks were kind of crappy for me. I was in a bit of a funk. Some people get all depressed in the winter. I get lazy and crabby in the summer. It's been really hot and humid, two things I hate. Although, I almost made it to August this year before I started finding the heat intolerable. Usually by the beginning of June I'm ready for it to be September.

I was driving back from Toledo on Monday when I noticed that the needle on my car's temperature gauge was in the red and the "check guages" light was on. (Which, while we're on the subject, has to be in the top ten most useless things ever. I mean, it's red. It lights up when you need to check your gauges. Gauges which are right there in the same panel with the check gauges light, literally inches away. It's not like the gauges are in the trunk.) So I took the next exit off the highway and quickly sought out a gas station to pull into. Let me just tell you that if you get off I-75 at Route 24 and head into Maumee there are no service stations right by the highway.

I pulled in and popped the hood. I checked everything, and it was fine. Which makes no sense, but whatever. Oh, I forgot to mention. I called work as I was driving, looking for a place to pull over, hoping that my car wasn't going to explode. Because I was now going to be late, and he was trying to make jokes, whilst I was in peril. I was sitting there, waiting for my car to cool down so I could attempt to drive the 15 miles remaining before me and get to work under an hour late, when this woman wandered over.

Imagine it, I'm sitting in my car with the hood open on a day when it's already close to ninety degrees and it's not even 11am. This woman comes over, cigarette in hand (at least she was away from the gas pumps), she's over fifty, waddling along, wearing a shirt that's committing atrocities against yellow.

Her: Hey, I work here. Car overheat?
Me: Yeah.
Her: Was it, like, steam coming out?
Me: No, I stopped before that happened.
Her: You going to add water to it?
Me: No, the coolant is full.
Her: Huh. You call somebody?
Me: No, I'm going to let it cool, and then head back. I'm already supposed to be at work.
Her: In Maumee?
Me: No, in Bowling Green.
Her: Well, you're Monday's gone all to shit.

And then she toddled off.

Those damn weirdos, they always find me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 5:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Now that's some weird car behaviour. Do you know what the issue was?

     
  • At 7:32 AM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    You could take your car to autozone, they will do a diagnostics test on your car for free to figure out why the light is on.

     
  • At 9:17 PM , Blogger Steph said...

    That lady is a classic. I would have laughed my arse off, but then I love the loonies.

     
  • At 12:28 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Mark - Nope, this is pretty much the standard reaction of any electronic/mechanical equiptment spending time in my presence, to behave bizarrely.

    Julia - I know why the light was on: because the temperature gauge was maxed out. See, the check guages light comes on when any of you gauges are in the red (even the gas needle). Which means it's pretty much pointless since it's only inches from those guages which you need to check.

    Steph - Well if you love loonies you should be here this week. It's county fair week, and well, they're running rampant. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home