Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Interview with a Blogger

I was over at MissE's Blog and volunteered for an interview. So, here are my answers to the questions she gave me. :)


Okay, Winter, you asked for it… *grin*

1. I notice we have a few authors and books in common on our faves lists (Tolkien, Pratchett, Gaiman, etc). What would you say was the first novel to truly impact upon you as a reader and why?

I think the first novel I ever read was “Little House in the Big Woods” in second grade. It was a good introduction to the world of reading for a little girl. I was totally enthralled by the adventures of Laura Ingalls, a girl about my own age at the time. When I was eleven I read “The lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe.” I picked the book off a shelf at random in school, and though the title sounded familiar I didn’t know anything about the book. I loved it. I think that was the first novel to impact me as a reader. I wanted to go to Narnia! Lol. It really sparked my love of fantasy and made me want to create my own stories. It made me believe in magic and look for it in the everyday.

2. You’ve just won $1 000 000 – tell me about how you’d spend it.

Ok, I’d do the boring part with some of it and save it/invest it, and pay off my bit of debt. Then I’d take all my friends out for a night out. Maybe a little shopping to pick up somethings on my need/wish list. Then I’d take a leave from work and do a bit of traveling. I’d take a road trip around the country and drive through all 48 contiguous states. I’ve always wanted to do that since high school. After that I’d do some international travel, maybe Ireland, London, Italy, Greece, New Zealand. And, of course, Australia because I’ve always wanted to visit, and now I have a few people down there I’d like to meet. ;) I’d have to bring Julia (Colonel Eggroll) along too!

3. If you were given the opportunity to work your “dream” job, what would it involve?

My dream job would have to involve creating things. Several years ago I realized how much I enjoy drawing, and I’ve known for years I love to write. Making things is just so rewarding for me. So I guess if I could get paid to draw (especially my comics), paint, write, maybe put out some of the ideas I’ve had for clothing designs for real shaped people that would be my dream job.

4. I think your inner child is alive and well – what toy of recent times do you wish someone would buy you?

Oh man, I’ve always wanted the k'nex roller coaster building set. I see from searching for an image that they have new, and bigger ones, now. I’ve always liked making things out of Legos, and what’s cooler than making your own roller coaster? I’d also take some of the new Lego sets they have out (esp. Star Wars Legos). They have so many different pieces than the ones I had as a kid!

5. And finally, as a teacher I believe that I can have an impact on my students’ lives – hopefully for the better; did any of your teachers shape the person you are today? How/Why?

It was really hard to narrow it down to just a couple. I could do a whole post about all the good teachers I’ve had.
Many of my middle school teachers made a big impact on me. They got me involved in extracariculars. Mrs. C seemed to genuinely care about me at what was a very rough time in my life for me. They really helped me regain an interest in school after my horrible fifth grade year (at a different school). In lieu of my home room period my eighth grade year I was teacher’s aide for Ms. St J and the two other special needs teachers. I did everything from tutor other students, grade papers, run copies, make bulliten boards, etc. It was very rewarding for me to help out (and be appreciated for it).

Mr. G, ninth, tenth, eleventh grades and beyond – If I had to pick the best teacher I ever had it would be hard, but he’d be in the top few. I can say without a doubt though that my freshman biology class with Mr. G was the best class ever. We learned a lot, but it was also so much fun! He treated me like an equal, not like some little kid. Also, he ran a gaming group for a bunch of the students and they invited me to that. I might never have gamed otherwise, and I’ve met a lot of friends and had so much fun doing it. Mr. G left the school in the middle of my junior year, but we met up a couple years later and became good friends. He’s such a cool guy that it was only weird for about five seconds.





Do YOU want to be interviewed?
Interview rules:
1. Leave me a comment saying “Interview me.”

2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.

3. You will update your blog with a post containing your answers to the questions.

4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.

5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 9:06 AM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    Aww! thanks for offering to take me along guy! =)

    Interview me?

    If you have the time, of course. It'll give me something to post.

     
  • At 6:21 PM , Blogger MissE said...

    Thank you for the great answers, winter. For the record - totally with you on the issue of Lego! I love that stuff... all I wanted as a kid was the "boy's" kits and all I kept getting were the "girl's" ones!

    You should most definitely visit Australia! It's a beautiful place, full of fabulous people! Like me! ;o)

     
  • At 9:58 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Julia - No problem, or course I'd drag you along with me! ;)

    Questions coming soon.

    MissE - Thanks. You guys are all fabulous! I'm thinking maybe next year or so I'll be able to make the trip. :D

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home