Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Easy Stir Fry Post

A continuation of the stir fry discussion.

Ok. I'm not sure how you're 'supposed' to make stir-fry. I think it's they type of cooking where you should just do it however you think is best. I just sort of wing it. Here's how I do it:

Go to the store. Buy ingredients.

Thinly slice the meat, like, a pound (that's what? a half kilo?). It doesn't matter what kind or what cut, I just pick something up that looks likely and is in my price range. In fact some of the cheaper cuts have worked out better. Beef, chicken, pork, whatever. You could do shrimp too I suppose.

Throw meat in some marinade (I like teriyaki with some szechuan) A couple hours is good. The bottle says 30min, but that is *so* not long enough. You can leave it overnight in the fridge if you want. This will insure that the meat is extra tender.

Chop vegetables. I always have some onion (I prefer white onion for stir fry), almost always green pepper, then mix it up with water chestnuts, carrots, bamboo.

Then I add 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to the wok (I think it turns out better than in a regular skillet) and heat it up. Toss in the meat to cook for a few mintues. Then the veggies and some more sauce (I'm partial to the House of Tsang brand). The vegetables can be the tricky bit because you want them to be cooked, but crisp not mushy, and they all take slightly different times to cook. The recipe says to add the onions to at the same time as the meat, but I prefer mine a bit more crisp, so I add them later with the others.

Stir, cover, cook and stir occasionally for a few more minutes until the vegetables are done.

Serve. I've discovered I like brown rice better than white. It has a bit of it's own flavor.

Enjoy.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

  • At 3:16 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    huh. I haven't seen that marinade system before. It's always been a sauce that you put in at the end, but I can see how your way is better. I wonder if I can find a bottle of the stuff... Also, some interesting vegetables. I am familiar with none of them, though I have long wondered what the different coloured onions were for.

     
  • At 8:19 AM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    I'm going to start saying "You are the schezuan to my beef" from now on. Because I think it's funny, and I like confusing the hell out of people.

     
  • At 11:12 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Mark - Yep, thinly slicing and marinade is the secret to tender, tasty meat in stir fry. :)

    I like bamboo, but it's a choice a lot of people don't think of. Just don't try eating it before you cook it. It's exactly like trying to eat wood. Go figure. The different colours of onions all taste a bit different. I'm a big fan of the white onions. They're tasty without being as pungent as yellow onions.

    Julia - Funny + confusing people = maximum amusement. Although that actually might not be hard to get.

     
  • At 8:54 PM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    Hey when are you going to upload your pirate party pictures?

     
  • At 9:03 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Patience!

     
  • At 3:45 AM , Blogger Steph said...

    Foolproof. It's about the only thing I CAN make.

     
  • At 7:04 AM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    No

     
  • At 1:47 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Steph - I think just about everybody can make stir fry. :)

    Colonel - The pictures are up now. Stop your bitching. :P

     
  • At 6:14 AM , Blogger Dan said...

    It's even easier if you go veg and leave out the meat! :)

     
  • At 11:08 AM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Pretty please? :)

     
  • At 9:46 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Dan - I supposed, but it's not the same.

    Julia - keep your freaking pants on, it's coming.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home