Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

ZZzzzzzZZZZzzzz...

Sleeping is probably one of the simplest, most natural things you can do right? Lay down, sleep, wake up, repeat. So will someone explain why I have such trouble with it?

1. I have trouble falling asleep. No matter how tired I am, no matter how comfy my bed (which it's not right now*), no matter how late it is, I have trouble drifting off. I don't do naps either, unless I'm really sick I can't fall asleep in the middle of the day. Honestly I think it's because my internal clock is set to a longer than 24 hour day. Left to my own devices I'd probably stay up for 18 hours and sleep 10. Like yesterday I had to work at 6 am (on 3 hours of sleep) and didn't go to sleep until after 1am last night. Nine or ten hours of sleep later and I'm good to go.

2. I am a night person. It's nigh impossible for me to fall asleep before midnight, which is a problem if I have to work at 6am. I've been this way since I was born (my mother has confirmed this with bitter grousing).

3. I talk in my sleep. I realize this doesn't impact me so much as others. One time, when I was in high school, my mom asked me if I'd left my tv or radio all night. Nope, just me talking in my sleep, rather loudly apparently. My mother loved it when I fell asleep and started talking in my sleep. She start asking me questions, encouraging me to continue to say nonsensical things so she could later belittle me in front of others. Thus far I have not revealed any scandalous secrets, been a channel for ancient mystical knowledge, or spoken in tongues. Although somebody once told me they thought I had been speaking French in my sleep. I am most definitely not fluent in French. Usually it's just bizarre dream nonsense.

4. Speaking of nonsense, when I do finally get to sleep I have really weird dreams. Often incredibly lucid and imaginative full colour, full sensory experience dreams. Sometimes with velociraptors. I can tell you that anyone who tells you to pinch yourself because "you can't feel pain in dreams" is full of shit. Ditto the whole "if you realize that you're dreaming you can change what's happening". That doesn't always work.
I won't bore anyone with details. I like talking about dreams, but it seems that precious few people do. I mean, there are certain people whose dreams I wouldn't want to hear about because I think they are annoying to begin with and I'm sure their dreams would be just as annoying. I think dreams are an interesting insight to a person's mind. Although I'm not sure what mine say about me then. Like this one dream where I was at this girl's apartment and there were zombies running rampant outside, but that wasn't the weird part...


*I have been sleeping on a futon for the past five years. In the last week I have woken up every day feeling like I've been beaten up, especially in the back and neck region. I'm on the hunt for a better sleeping apparatus, preferably something that doesn't fold in the middle when you lay down on it.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 10:42 PM , Blogger Steph said...

    sounds like you have some kind of sleep disorder. Have you thought about going to a sleep clinic?
    You need sleep, and sooner or later it will catch up with you and you'll get sick.

    Belive me. Been there, done that.

     
  • At 12:12 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Thanks Steph.

    Sure yeah, if by having a sleep disorder you mean being a weirdo. lol ;) I've done plenty of reading, I know they can "fix" some people's sleep problems with light therapy, but I feel being an insomniac just adds to my special charm... Anyway, I catch up on sleep every couple days (if I don't after a couple weeks I'll crash and take a 17 hour 'nap'). A

     
  • At 12:13 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    I have no idea why that 'A' is on the end of that post.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home