Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Vexation

I have had a terribly unproductive and unfulfilling day. The most I acheived today was having luch with Julia at Zarape (mmmm....delicious fajita burrito) and pruning my plants. Other than that the whole day was a wash. Julia accompanied me on a venture out to score some loot. First, I went to see if the shop I want to buy a bed from does deliveries. They don't. The guy told me that they never had offered delivery. I informed him that my roommate had furniture delivered a while back. (Take that!) He suggested I could rent a truck from Home Depot for "like, 20 dollars an hour or something". Yeah, right.

Frustrated but undaunted, we drove up to Toledo. I was hoping to get a new stereo put in my car. I've gone two years without one, which is fine when I'm by myself. I just crank up the volume on my headphones and wear them around my neck. Because wearing them on my ears might, I don't know say, impair my driving. Still, a radio would vastly improve the quality of my driving experiences, and will be quite necessary for some of the planned trips coming up. The kid at the place I went to informed me that the installer had already left for the day when we arrived. Don't advertise same day installation if you don't have people there to do the work! Also I learned that 'free installation' isn't exactly free. Gee, who'd've thunk it. Five dollar shop fee, 30 to 60 dollars for a mounting bracket and some wire attachment thingy.

I called my dad to see if he could install it. He could, but would rather not take on that project. He didn't understand my frustration and further added to my irritation with his own special brand of logic. On the up side he'll probably come down and help me drag a bed home when I buy it. All I wanted was a little instant gratification. Yes, I could make an appointment. Yes, I could go in tomorrow when I know the installer will be there, but sometimes you just want it done the first time you show up when you came for that express purpose and brought your friend so you could go shopping while you waited. Normally I'm more patient. Ah well. And, of course, the other car stereo store we stopped by was already closed.

By this point retail therapy sounded like a good time. Payless failed to offer me any cute shoes that I didn't already have similar to. We also stopped at Old Navy to look at clothes. Apparently "stupid" is all the rage this season in fashion. [Although it was nice to grab my usual size in a pair of shorts and have them be too big. Yay for losing weight. Healthiness rocks.] Lastly we stopped at a chain bookstore. I thought I'd pick up a Games magazine since they're one of the few places that carry it. Some puzzles to soothe my frazzled brain. Nope, just a shit-ton of Sudoku. I don't know why everybody is so damn crazy for Sudoku. They're just magic number puzzles where the the rows and columns don't necessarily have a goal sum. They're okay, but that's all you can find anymore.

The best and only thing I bought this afternoon were fountain drinks.

It was like all things were conspiring to irritate the hell out of me.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home