Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

I have been violated

Yesterday our summer visiting manager saw how I had my shift set up, and what I had her doing for it. She comes running up to me.

Excited: Oh. My. God. You have no idea how excited I am by this!!!!! I'm going to give you a hug!! I know you don't like touching, but I'm gonna anyway!!!

Me: WhaaaNO...

*Bone crushing awkwardness ensued*

Let's break it down and begin with the "no touching". On a previous occasion I had told Captain Excited that I didn't like being touched. This isn't exactly true. I do not have a problem with physical contact with other humans beings. I'm all for it given the right circumstances and the right people. Sometimes I just have to tell people this because they are abusing their touching privileges.

Next, proper hugging etiquette. When embracing a person whom you are not on intimate or even say familiar terms with there are a couple of acceptable hugs. You can do the side arm hug: arm thrown around their shoulders, couple of seconds, good to go. You can do the lean in hug, minimal contact, a bit of back patting is acceptable.

Here's what went down: Crazy McExcitedPants threw her arms around my neck and proceeded to crush my vertebrae in a full body, full contact hug. It went into overtime; can I get a ref to call a foul for non regulation length hugging? Way too much of her was pressed against way too much of me. I locked up. I couldn't think. The only way it could have been anymore awkward is if she had tried to wrap a leg around me too. One step below absolute awkwardness. Afterwards she bounced away to go terrorize others and I had a good shudder.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 3:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "I don't have personal space I have killzones" LOL. Classic.

    I think you should complain less. I had a job once where I was happy not to get punched.

     
  • At 7:51 PM , Blogger Steve said...

    You have no idea how mad at myself I am for not being there to see it. I would have loved to see you hit her.

     
  • At 11:31 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Mark - Thank you, I felt quite witty when I thought that up. Also, jeez, I'm sorry did you work in a rowdy bar or something?

    Steve - there was no punching, just some twitching after.

     
  • At 3:38 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yes, but I was more scared of the boss than the customers is what I meant. Academia is way more friendly but, at the same time, I get zero to nil hugs. The best of both worlds.

     
  • At 11:34 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Scary/crazy bosses suck.

     
  • At 7:29 AM , Blogger lucy said...

    Dude. I agree. Very simple rules. Unless you're family, a friend or someone I get naked with no hugging and no kissing.

    I mean just say hey, or goodbye. No body to body contact needed.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home