Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Friday, June 01, 2007

Don't Step in the Shappu

I don't like shopping at Wal-mart, or as I like to call it, Evil-mart. Sometimes I find myself doing it anyway. Sometimes I don't feel like driving all the way across town to another store (do you save enough gas over a four mile round trip to offset the badness of buying their crap?). Or like that time a couple weeks ago when Julia and I were shuffling about evil-mart, her drugged out from having her teeth pulled, me with mild to moderate sleep depravation. I think I really needed to get shampoo, and she just wanted to get out of the house.

Anyway. We were making out way towards the registers, mmm, my favorite part of shopping at walmart. On an endcap I spotted a display of knives. It looked lilke one of those super knife sets they have on the infomercials. They always take the knives and cut through a shoe or a pvc pipe, or saw on some granite and then cut a tomato to show that it's "still sharp". As someone who has trouble falling asleep I know these sorts of things. So there were these knives, but the box looked really thin. I decided to investigate (needed sleep remember?).

I discovered that they were selling the "Shappu 2000 (tm) Stainless Steel 10 pc Professional Cutlery Set" that Never Needs Sharpening. Made from Japanese stainless steel with a lifetime guarantee for A. Dollar. Ninety. Four.

I bought them.

"Superior quality stainless steel knives makes cutting easier than you can expect. The scientific-mechanical cast cutting edges are so fine and sharp that can create various incredible cutting capabilities. Different blade designs to satisfy all your needs in the kitchen - they slice, carve, rip, tear, saw... and much much more."

It includes a 'Set of 6 Steak Knives', the 'Shappu Parer', the 'Shappu Cleaver', a 'Shappu Fillet' and of course the 'Shappu Utility'.

The best were the captions on the pictures. "Perfect for carve ribs and meats" "Slice nicely on soft, crispy or crumble breadstuffs" "Steak knife suits casual or formal dines" "Saw through aluminum or PVC pipes" and "Rip through tough leather and rubber" with a picture of one of the knives halfway through a tennis shoe. So we have Engrish and super knife cliches. Why do they always do the shoe thing? Who the hell is it that needs to grab a kitchen knife to slice their sneakers in half? And pipes? Hah. Maybe if you were trapped by zombies in your kitchen and there was a hole in the wall you could escape through, but it was blocked by pipes and you had your trusty Shappu handy, then just maybe this would be applicable.

The knives came taped into a flimsy plastic tray, and aren't even straight. Awesome. This was totally worth the 1.94.

I did put the Shappu to the test. They're surprisingly sharp (although they edges don't feel that keen, must be that serration). The Shappu suffer from an excess of flimsiness, guess that's why they're guarunteed to not need sharpened, not to not break. I found you can cut through a plastic water bottle or cardboard. I didn't have any extra shoes to sacrifice for this experiment though, so I guess that will have to remain a mystery until another day

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

  • At 12:26 AM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    We can get a pair of shoes from goodwill. They are usually only a couple dollars. Although I don't like the hospital/sterile look that goodwill has. I miss salvation army! =(

     
  • At 8:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Might I raise a hand and ask whether cutting a shoe in half will really prove anything? (Now if you can cut tin cans that's another thing...)

    Also, I wonder how many people have been disembowelled after accidentally leaning on those flimsy boxes.

     
  • At 2:51 AM , Blogger lucy said...

    I second Colonel on buying some second hand shoes - you can't not do the shoe test.

     
  • At 2:06 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Colonel - Good idea, we'll have to stop there and grab a pair sometime this week. I too am saddened by the absence of the finer of our town's two thrift stores. I am none too keen on goodwill's bizarre combination of sterility and squalor.

    Mark - I have no idea what the cutting shoes in half has to do with anything. I'm guessing the guys making the knife infomercial were cutting the hell out of whatever they could lay their hands on and suddenly one guy says to the other, "Hey dude, give me your shoe. I got an idea."

    Lucy - Don't worry the shoe test will be carried out. Results will be posted for the entertainment of all. :)

     
  • At 3:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    LOL. That *is* entertainment. Make sure you get a decent Sensible Shoe, not some foam flip-flop.

    Heh, worst episode of Mythbusters ever...

     
  • At 11:08 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    I know! I thought that too: "this is like Mythbusters, only lamer and tamer". :)

     
  • At 7:36 AM , Blogger Steph said...

    A buck ninety four? Who cares if they don't cut. For that price you can use them to butter your toast!

     
  • At 7:42 AM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    What would be mythbusters-esque is if we blew the knives up afterwards.

     
  • At 12:10 AM , Blogger Winter said...

    Steph - I thought they were worth the entertainment value alone, but that is also a good point. :)

    Eggroll - Yes!

     
  • At 3:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I was also curious about this set of knives. When I opened the package, sure enough the phrase "too good to be true" ran through my head. The cleaver was a bit bent. When I straightened it, the whole blade broke and ricocheted off the garbage can.

    Also, there doesn't seem to be an address any where on the packaging for me to use the lifetime warranty option.

    I agree that they are worth two dollars just for the entertainment value. I don't know whether to return them to evil-mart for a refund or an exchange.

     
  • At 12:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    LoL, I have a set, you would break the blade off if you applied pressure from the side in the form of buttering.

    ============At 7:36 AM , Steph said...

    A buck ninety four? Who cares if they don't cut. For that price you can use them to butter your toast!

     
  • At 1:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRicWfztSzc&NR=1

    There, I saved you some shoe cash.

     
  • At 6:47 PM , Blogger Michelle said...

    Odd. I got some Shappu knives a few years back too. ... They handled EVERYTHING I tried to cut with them beautifully. Until today, over 4 years later, my most used knife broke while trying to cut through the stem of a butternut squash.

     
  • At 6:44 AM , Blogger wakeelah said...

    my most knife broke right where the handle and blade attach researching to see who manufacturer is so i get a replacement.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home