Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Shooting Star

*On my way to work the other day I saw a meteorite. I was driving and I saw it drop down into my field of vision from the top of my windshield. Even over the the music playing I could hear the whistling/wooshing sound it was making. Just before the tree line there was a thump as it disintegrated into glowing dust. It was pretty cool.

*Last week I earned some brownie points with my bosses. We received a package from a company that we'd never heard of, and don't do busines with. The box had a dozen loose, tiny rolls of receipt tape in it, and nothing else. The next day someone called asking who took care of our bills and the head manager gave them the central office number and fax number. The office called not long after saying they had received an invoice for over one hundred and twenty dollars from the company that sent us the package. The head manager called the company and fought her way through the voice mail system and finally got a person on the line and had an argument with them. They claimed we had ordered this stuff back in February. Deciding this sounded more and more like a scam I hopped on the computer and cruised over to the Better Business Bureau website and looked them up. Sure enough, they've had plenty of complaints for the same sort of thing. They call places up, confirm an address, then send out a random package, and then an invoice. They play on the fact that many large companies will pay the small bill without question. I printed up all the info they had on the company and how to deal with the scammers and passed it on to my bosses. Go me.

*Yesterday was the first time I had to run the whole show at work by myself. Everything went very smoothly. All my employees showed up, I did all my paperwork correctly, handled phone calls from my boss and the company owner ("you sound so professional and polite!" she said when I answered the phone, I think she might be easily amused) with no problems. Yay, go me

*Last Saturday I went to my cousin's wedding up in Michigan. When my mother arrived at the wedding I immediately recognized the dress she was wearing because it was the same red dress I had tried on the weekend before whilst shopping for something to wear to the wedding. The same red dress I thought a bit too flashy for the wedding. Holy crap. The wedding was at 2pm and the reception at 6pm, so we hung out at my aunt and uncle's house inbetween. We had snacks and a couple beers. Then we headed to the reception (open bar, v. nice). It was a good time, inspite of the fact that my cousin and her now husband are into country music and there was a lot of that. I'm not a fan of country music myself, but I will suffer through for my cousin, it's her day after all.. I got to hang out and talk with the family. I had to spend those eight hours in the presence of my mother and her husband though. I solved this problem by monopolizing the conversation. They think I'm witty, hilarious, and full of all sorts of interesting informaton. The feeling is not mutual. But I had a good time, and my cousin looked beautiful in her wedding dress, and her husband is a great guy, and it was all good.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home