Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Scrubbing

Today I got caught up on some housework. It had been suffering since I've pretty much been working and sleeping and kind of staring off in a daze when I'm not doing either of those. I had a crap-ton of laundry to do, and the dishes were quite scary. Really scary. So there was a reckoning and now the kitchen is clean. Very clean.

Then as I was trying to rinse out my utensil tray I turned on the tap and there was no water. Already being in a state of pissed-offness I grabbed my electric bill and called the after hours number listed. The phone was answered by a woman at the police station. I apologized and said I was trying to get a hold of the municipal utilities office because there was no water. "Well, we answer emergency calls after hours," she told me. Then she asked me if the whole building didn't have water (nobody was here today so I couldn't say, the place was unusually quiet) or if I had called my landlord "because they could be doing maintenance. Call them and then call us back if there's still a problem." It's freaking Sunday and after 6pm, we've established last weekend that after 6 on Sunday is as after hours as it gets. Admittedly, I should have called the landlord first, but I was pissed. Also, there was nobody here! There was nobody doing maintenance in the building. And I've tried to call the landlord after hours before and that's a big waste of time. "If there's a problem we'll have to call somebody in from home from the municipal utilities department," she tells me. Unfuckbelieveable. The city apparently has nobody on staff on the weekends, and all I have is some unhelpful phone wench. Gods forbid we have to call somebody in from home. I'd hate to inconvenience somebody to do their job in keeping the rest of us supplied with water.

I was so mad when I hung up. I didn't bother calling the landlord. I was too angry to put together anything cohesive at the moment. I went down to the laundry to throw my last load in the dryer. The washer seemed to have finished fine. I turned on the tap in the wash tub and water came out. I went back upstairs and turned on the taps in my apartment. There was air for a moment and then water sputter out. Problem solved. I don't know what happened. Air in the line or something I guess. Nice to know who not to boehter counting on.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 5:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    In a way it would have been better if something was wrong, just so you could annoy people and make them fix it, right? Like John Travolta and his car in Pulp Fiction.

     
  • At 12:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    GAAAAAAME.

     
  • At 10:09 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Mark - Exactly! I hate when things are working, but "nothing is wrong" with them. Then people act like you're the crazy one. Grrrrr.

    Allyson - I know!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home