Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

I can see! It's a miracle!

I finally went to the eye doctor today. First, my appointment started a half hour late. I wasn't happy about that, but finally we got started. The doctor (optician/optometrist/whatever) was pretty cool, but I have to say that I find eye exams vexing. They're doing all these tests and making notes, and machines are printing out little bits of tape, but no one tells me anything.

Then, as we're playing the "number one or number two?" game, the doc says "wow" in a sort of matter of fact tone. When he finishes up flipping the little lenses around he shows me what my old prescription was versus what I now need. I was not surprised by the difference. I knew that I was badly in need of a new prescription, that's why I was there. Then he tells me, "You've picked up a truckload of astigmatism since the last time you were here." I've never had them mention any astigmatism to me before, I've never had a problem with it. This does explain why I was having trouble seeing everything, near, far, you name it. So I say, "Oh, crap." And the doc says "Double crap." You know what? I that guy is alright. I appreciate his candor and not trying to bullshit me, which is what I always get from doctors.

The doc tells me that my contacts are going to go up from about $17 a box to $29 because I need astigmatism contacts, which is not too bad. Then he goes to get me a trial pair, and they don't even have one strong enough at the power I need for my left eye (which is always been the worst of the two). He gave me one that's the next step down, and it's pretty damn good anyway. I have to go in for a follow up after my full strength trial pair come in because my prescription changed so much. I'll order new glasses then since my old ones are from about four prescriptions ago. I'll probably throw some pictures up on flickr when I get them too.

I'm wearing my new contacts now, they've given me a bit of a headache and felt really weird at first. Everything is so crisp and clear though, it was kind of freaking me out. You go from everything being a bit fuzzy for so long and then have everything sharp and crystal and it can kind of overwhelm you. Or make you feel a little crazy what with the instantaneous improved vision. You look out at trees and grass and can see the individual leaves and blades as opposed to just green. At first if I moved my eyes too quickly I couldn't focus and would get dizzy, but I'm getting used to it. It's nice to be able to read or play video games or drive without having to squint at everything.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 1:23 AM , Blogger MissE said...

    Yay! Vision!!

    I think about contacts every now and then... and then I think about sticking my fingers in my eyes and it just seems wrong... plus I'm majorly clumsy and occasionally stupid and would likely do what a mate of my sister's did and try to remove my contacts only to discover I'm not wearing them and that I've removed the top layer of my eye instead!

    But YAY! for Winter.

    Oh and I'm so relieved that you've changed the colour scheme ... the white on black was doing some funky shite to my eyes. *grin*

     
  • At 4:48 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Cool doctor. Shame about the eyes :(

    good English story too. I come from a very English town but I have never heard anyone say 'couple' and mean four.

     
  • At 2:40 PM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    "You might not be able to tell from my accent because I do a lot of dialects. It's from my acting, I do a lot of acting. I used to want to be a mortician, but I returned to acting because it's my first love."

    Sounds like she shops at hot topic, and blogs on livejournal. You should ask her.

    As a fellow astigmatism sufferer, I feel your pain. Without my glasses I'd be a hazard.

     
  • At 5:21 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    MissE - Thanks. They're actually really easy to use. I'm so used to them at this point that I don't even need a mirror to do it. I will say however that these new contacts are a bit more to get used to in the wearing department.

    I'd been meaning to change the colour scheme for quite some time now (like five months). The white on black was not terribly good for me either, and I was feeling that it looked a little livejournaly. :)

    Mark - I was hoping to stay away from astigmatism and just suffer the "I can't see things far away" problem, but it was not to be. My dad's gotten to the point where he needs bifocals, a non-reassuring thought.

    Maybe she thought English people use a 'metric couple', which would be more than an 'American couple' and completely retarded!

    Colonel E - She doesn't look like the hot topic type, she wears nice earrings and carefully applied makeup. I'm pretty sure she was homeschooled though...

    Thanks, I now understand why you don't wear your contacts often, they take a lot of getting used to! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home