Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Nerdventures

Wow, I actually have stuff to blog about, and I can remember what it is. Um...Woot!

So the events of the Teabag Convention kind of overshadowed the events of Easter weekend. I had both Saturday and Sunday off. Sunday I went to my grandparents' for lunch, but I thought with having those two days off together I might get some extra stuff done before my management training began on Monday (I'm having loads of fun with that, in case you're wondering). Well, when the weekend rolled around I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to do, so I ended up not really doing anything. I started some cleaning on Saturday, but was distracted.

I was moving things around and came across my coin collection. I pulled that out and sorted the pile of coins I'd set aside over the last few months. With only a couple exceptions all of the coins in my collections are things that I've found. At my various jobs, in change I'm given, on the ground; old coins, coins from all over the world. I don't see the point in buying coins from a dealer, there's no challenge in that. Except the challenge of having enough money. I'm working on grading and pricing some of the stuff, with a couple neat little surprises. You know, like a penny that might be worth as much as $100 because it's an error...Ok, ok, it's nerdy, no one cares, I got it, we'll move along. :)

So after I finished nerding around with my coins I pulled out my genealogy notebook (I'm a person of many hobbies). I spent several hours Saturday and Sunday working on and looking up things and ancestors and what not. My mother even graced me with a phone call Sunday evening. I'm hoping she'll actually give me copies of the genealogy info she has like she said she would, but I'll probably have to go 'visit' to get them. *grumble*

Sitting around talking with the family after dinner on Easter I learned that my cousin M (who is 4 months younger than me and has always lived at home) is going to be getting her own apartment soon. My aunt N was joking about cousin M hosting Christmas this year at her new apartment. I said, "Oh, no. If every year when I volunteered to have a holiday you guys wouldn't let me, then she can't have it either." I had offered before, but you know that dream where you're talking, but nobody can hear you? I'll be 25 this year, I have a decent sized place, and when my parents were my age they had 3 kids and had totally hosted holidays. I've felt like I should have a turn, but it's exactly like that dream. Plus I don't think my family remembers that I'm an adult. Anyway, my aunt N said, "When did you say that?" I said, "For three years." The she says, "Well, you're having Christmas this year. It's yours." Then my grandmother leans in, from out of the blue, and says "What about a ham? I can bring that." O-freaking-K. I win. Even though at first I though "what did I just do?" Now I'm pretty stoked, but at least I don't have to worry about it for at least seven months.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 1:13 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Way to steal Christmas! Funny how with some people you have to say things three or four times before they hear you.

     
  • At 10:10 PM , Blogger Steph said...

    Oh noes! You may live to regret it!

     
  • At 1:04 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Mark - I know, the day is mine.

    I love my dad, but sometimes I have to tell him twice, or make sure he's listening. The best is when I tell him something and then he tells it back to me a couple days later, like he's breaking the news to me.

    Steph - Maybe, but if anything crazy goes down I'll be sure to blog about it! ;)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home