Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

10 things I like and 10 I don't

Okay, I was reading MissE's Blog and she did this Post where she listed 10 things she liked and 10 she didn't using a single letter. Well, I asked and got myself a letter. So here it is, brought to you by the letter "P".

The Likes:
1. Pizza - duh. I think this is pretty much a given for everybody. I realize there may be somebody out there who'll argue me down about this, but how can you? Crust, sauce, toppings. There have to be a bzillion different ways to make pizza, and at least one for everyone.
2. Pachyderms - specifically elephants. Lead by the memory of their matriarchs, the African elephants travel for miles to find waterholes during the dry season. (I learned that from watching "Planet Earth" on Discovery, it's a prety good show.) They're intelligent and they have feelings.
3. Pac Man - and all the old school video games. Super Mario Bros, Zelda, Galaga, Bubble Bobble, Castlevania, Sonic the Hedgehog. I realize that there are newer versions of these games, or you can get them for new systems, but sometimes I crave the ancient systems and crappy graphics of my youth! Dammit.
4. Painting - I might not be terribly good at it (Hey colonel E, we should take a class like we were talking about), but I enjoy it. My medium of choice right now is acrylics because they dry fast and I like to do a lot of work in one sitting. Also I feel that they're less complicated than oil or water colours. Now my grandmother did some good paintings. I'll put pics on my flickr later.
5. Prose - like reading it, like writing it.
6. Paleontology - always something new being discovered, and challenging what scientists have already put down as the truth (I love it when they get all stirred up, it's hilarious). I just read recently that they discovered a T-rex bone at a dig that still had some spongy (not completely fossilized) material inside it, and they think they've identified actual blood cells in it. Jurassic Park here we come. Plus aren't dinosaurs the coolest?
7. Pirates! - Jeez, I almost forgot them.
8. Passages, secret - How cool would it be to have a house that had secret passages? The coolest evAR, that's how cool it would be. Also, should I own a house riddled with secret passages it should also have a portcullis. Maybe I could have some pirates running around too.
9. Pratchett, Terry - His Discworld series includes some of favorite books.
10. "Paralyzer" by Finger Eleven. A rather infectious tune. I dare you to listen and not engage in a little foot tapping or head nodding.
11. Prime numbers.

Dislikes:
1. Pageants - Do I even have to say anything?
2. Paper Mache - Did you ever have to do this in elementary school? I did. You dipped strips of newspaper in cold, slimy goop and were supposed to make something out of it. Your attempts always resulted in something so deformed that not even it's mother would have loved it.
3. Paparazzi - They, and the people who buy their pictures, and the people who over-obsess about the lives of celebrities need to get a life.
4. Paris Hilton - proving to the world that you can never be too rich to be white trash.
5. Pot, the smell of - in case I've neglected to mention, I have kind of a sensitive sense of smell. A mere whiff of the smoke will cause a head ache to set in. (So on top of getting bashed in the face by flailing limbs of crowd surfers, I already had a headache from the stoners lighting up in front of us at the concert Monday). So obviously I've not one of the cool kids who enjoy the herbal adventure.
6. Puking - Boy, do I hate throwing up.
7. Plaque and the gum disease gingivitis - Thanks guys for making us have to floss. We sure do love flossing, can't get enough of it. And there's mouthwash too, mmm tasty. Thank you very much.
8. Poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac - I've had at least 2 out 3 (stupid pediatricians who can't tell the difference). It itches, and if you're unlucky you'll have to take crazy steroids to get rid of it which will make life interesting with side effects for a week. Also if you're double unlucky you might get really noticeable scars that took years to fade even though you NEVER SCRATCHED IT ONCE! Sometimes your parents and doctors lie to you.
9. Pretentious cocksuckers. People who presume a degree of familiarity that is not present. The people who invade my life who would lose on "Are you smarter than a Protozoan?" Pompous asses.
10. Pee on toilet seats - eeewwwwwwwah.

So...if you want to do this too, let me know and I'll pick you a letter. ;)

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 10:10 PM , Blogger MissE said...

    Excellent list!
    Totally with you on the Terry Pratchett - I have all the discworld novels and have been buying the most recent ones as hard covers because I can't wait for the paperback!
    Prose would also make it on my list... in fact I think it did!

     
  • At 10:56 PM , Blogger Steph said...

    I heart me some Pirates. Swashbucklers are so friggin sexy!

     
  • At 4:16 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    MissE - O. M. G. I love the Discworld novels. The Walden's Bookstore here in town closed up shop a few months ago. They had everything on sale so I scored myself a whole pile of the series. All of mine are paperback, I can stand waiting because I always borrow them from the library as soon as they come out.

    Steph - Doesn't everybody heart pirates? :D

     
  • At 1:13 PM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    Nice list. Pac man rules! I just got tetris for xbox, and it's not the same as old school. I still play it until my eyes water anyway.

    Pee on toilet seats is the grossest! Even if urine is sterile, it's still narsty when it's not your own.

     
  • At 2:32 PM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    I guess I'll try my hand at this.

    Letter plz.

     
  • At 3:42 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Col. Eggroll - I totally scored a pair of Pac Man socks at Target yesterday for a dollar! :)
    A letter for you....hmmmm....how about 'F'.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home