Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Monday, January 08, 2007

How Not to be a Jerk, Part 1

Sure we all can be jerks from time to time, but let's face it, there are some people out there who are abusing their jerk privileges. So in order to do my part in making the world a better place I give you Winter's Guide on How Not to be a Jerk. Life lessons inspired by true events. Considering the average amount of jerkitude in an average day for me, this will probably become a regular segement on the blog. So without anything further here is today's How Not to be a Jerk.

#1 Do not invite yourself to other people's stuff.

For this example conversation, based on actual events
Let me = me
Let Bert = a coworker whom I was speaking with and who is a friend
Let Jerk = someone whom I am not friends with and is a complete teabag


Bert: If you bring in the patterns tomorrow I can get my thread and be ready to sew by this weekend.
Jerk: What are you guys talking about?
Me: Nevermind, nothing important.
Jerk: Are you guys talking about sewing, like, in a quilting circle?
Me: What does it matter if we are?
Jerk: Seriously, is it a quilting circle???
Me: Look, what if I say it is?
Jerk: Dude, I love quilting!!!!! You HAVE to let me join your circle.
Me: That's not how it works. We're a small group.
Jerk: Dude, that is so not cool.
Me: No, it's not 'not cool'. There are other people involved who have to be taken into account
*Jerk goes off in a huff, muttering things like "not fair"*

Ok, we obviously weren't talking about quilting, but the analogy is sound.
It's one thing to ask if you can join something, but another to just invite yourself along. And then to get mad when you're turned down? Dick move.
On a personal note, nothing turns my pissed off dial to eleven quicker and more completely than being told I 'have' to do something.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:53 PM , Blogger Steve said...

    I would have laughed my ass off if you were talking to the jerk about quilting.

     
  • At 8:22 PM , Blogger colonel eggroll said...

    DUDE! I LOVE QUILTING!!!! *smiles manically while eyes twitch uncontrollably*

    When I was in the knitting group at grounds for thought, no one every reacted in that manner when they found out where I was going. It was more like "That's what you're going to do on a wednesday night?? I'm so sorry!"

    But I digress.

    Carry on in the fight against bags of all sorts! =)

     
  • At 9:06 PM , Blogger Winter said...

    Let us all be glad that today this particular jerk got himself fired. Credit goes to Steve for laying the termination smack down.

     
  • At 9:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I will take your advice and apply it to many situations where people would usually call me a jerk. Thanks! Keep 'em coming.

     
  • At 8:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    sounds like "Me" has an issue with "Jerk" to start off with, and played the jerk card first. I feel "Me" was rude to "Jerk" as soon as "Jerk" walked in on "Me" and "Bert". What would have it hurt to include "Jerk" in the Conversation? "Me" may have found some common ground with "Jerk" and developed a frindship.
    Sounds like "ME" needs to do some researh on how not to be a Jerk.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home