Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Football

Sure it's an anomoly, I'm doing a post about football. I don't even follow sports, but the whoooole thing's about football. Don't know what to tell you.

So last week the local college was giving away tickets to their game in order to fill the stands to hit the 22,000 attendance mark to keep their division I status. (I think I got that right) When I commented that I thought divisions were based off school size (like high school divisions), or something else that made sense my friend 'Bert asked "Would you want to go see Ohio State play them in the Rose Bowl?" I answered, "All I know about football this year is that Rutgers is undefeated so far." And that is from reading Lozo's Blog . [Well, they're not anymore sad to say.]

I didn't watch the Rutgers game, but I did watch the OSU/Micigan game and part of the Cal/USC game. That's the most football I've watched in one day evAR. Normally I don't get into football, but I felt like watching the OSU/Mich game. It's such a huge freaking deal around here, although the rivalry is usually taken more lightly than in Columbus or Ann Arbor, we don't have riots over the game. Which might be kind of odd since we're near the Ohio/Michigan border and it's the "Border Battle". Unfortunately I don't feel like looking up the specifics of it, but there was once almost a war between the two states over who controlled the eight mile wide strip of land that included the port city of Toledo. Ohio got Toledo and Michigan got the Upper Penninsula (a deal that at the time meant diddly squat even though that's a hell of a lot more land). At any rate, that was the beginning of it all.

I don't know why I watched the second game. Maybe the generations of American blood in my veins was stirred. I was seized by the Red, the White, and the Blue to watch football. The great american sport blahbliddyblahblargleblah, etc.

Yeah right. I don't mind a little football now and then, and it was something to listen to while I did housework and cross stitching. (Ok so it's a little addicting)

And one more thing about football. Last night I was flipping through channels and there was football on the Canadian channel. And not soccer, American football! I was like "wtf?" The British Columbia Lions were playing the Montreal Alouettes (spelling? ). At least I think that's what they said they were, Alouettes. More "wtf?" on that.

I didn't know there were any football teams in Canada. Soccer? yes. Hockey? duh. But football? Professional football? would not have been my guess. CFL - the Canadian Football League...who'd've thunk?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home