Welcome to the Event Horizon

Event Horizon - n. the boundary around a black hole on and within which no matter can escape.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Tell me how to get to...

I must have the look about me of someone who knows where things are and how to get to them. There are always people asking me for directions. Not that I mind, I just think it's interesting that they always pick me. And I try to give good directions. Although it has just occured to me that people always seem to take directions given to them, even by complete strangers, on faith that they are correct and will get them to their destination. I've never been tempted to lead anyone astray, but I wonder if there are people who give bad directions for shits and giggles. I don't know because I've never had to ask anybody for directions.

I feel the cure for getting lost is all proactive. Get a map and learn how to read it. I realize that females are stereotyped as being completely retarded when it comes to maps...and unfortunately I have found plenty of women who lend credibility to this belief. I am not one of them. I have always had a fascination with maps. When I was a kid I would sit around reading them. I guess I still am fascinated with them as I really enjoy the maps that authors draw/include with their books. Anyway, I'm getting off topic here, back to other people. I also think it would help if people knew the cardinal directions. I'm not saying that you need to know that such-and-such is 34 degrees Northwest by North of blahbliddiblah. Just the basics.

Now, my dad gives really good directions. Directions so good that they become too good. He provides innumerable landmarks. Him giving me directions sounds kind of like this->
My Dad: You're going to drive down 2nd street. There will be 3 stop signs, drive through those. Then there will be a stop light with a gas station on the corner.
Me: Do I turn there?
My Dad: No. Keep going.
Me: Okaaaay
My Dad: After that there will be a big, red barn on the left, turn there.
Me: What's the street called.
My Dad: Dunno, it's the one with the big, red barn on the corner. Anyway the place you want is a brick building three quarters of a mile down on the east side of the road. There's three yellow houses right before it.
Me: What's the house number?
My Dad: I think its 1538 or 1358. (Note: both my dad and I are slightly dyslexic) But there are three yellow houses right before it and if you get to the school, the railroad tracks, or the river you've gone to far.
(In this example the school would be a block too far, the railroad tracks would be about a mile too far, and the river is ten miles beyond the place I was looking for, in which case I would hope I was already aware I'd missed the place I was looking for)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home